Most Popular Deer Cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Popular Deer Cartridge?

A few days ago, I was reading an article on deer cartridges, and in the article it said that the .300 Win Mag was by far the most popular deer cartridge (or something to that effect). This struck me as somewhat of a stretch. While I do not deny that the .300 is an effective and popular cartridge, I wouldn't say it is the most popular. Does this sound reasonable? Also What cartridge do you use the most?

Hmm, maybe most popular if you count all Cervids as deer. I agree that it is a bit of a stretch to say most popular but I would be surprised if it wasn't in the top 5.
    I have to believe the .30-06 or the .308 has top billing as most popular with .270win and the abysmal .30-30 up there as well.

The .300winmag is my utility rifle. I can use it for anything in North America. I love it. I am told that it is really gaining popularity in the South West.

Oh well about popularity, there's no accounting for taste

Comment

I've got 10 bucks that says it doesn't even make the top 5.

I'd guess that the top 5 (in no particular order) are:
      .30-06, .270, .308, .30-30 and .243

Comment

I would have a hard time agreeing with that. While there has been a proliferation of .300 magnums, I think the .300 Win Mag is the most numerous of the bunch. Maybe most popular elk cartridge in the west. I killed my personal best mule deer last season with my .300 Weatherby, but mainly due to being on a combination deer and elk hunt. Other deer have fallen to non-magnum rifles. But I do think the .300 Win Mag is a top 5 in sales perennially.

Comment

How would anybody know? First, you would have to poll everybody in every state that hunts deer , even shotgun only. Then correlate it with ammo sales (which the 223 would kill it) as well as new gun sales. Sounds like isolated polling ( such as polling being conducted on a sniper or long range forum) as opposed to every body. I myself fall into the classically handsome, hidden genius group, thus am a natural 7mm-08 fan.

Comment

Without a detailed survey by region it would be hard to say what's the most popular for deer. But, for overall sales here's some food for thought:

Here are Federal’s top sellers from 2014:

1. .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO
            2. .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO
            3. .30-’06 Springfield
            4. .30-30 Winchester
            5. .270 Winchester
            6. .243 Winchester
            7. .300 Winchester Magnum
            8. 7mm Remington Magnum
            9. 7.62x39
            10. .300 Winchester Short Magnum
            11. .22-250 Remington
            https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2015/12/20/america-s-most-wanted-ammunition/

Another article I found from 2015 attempted to show all calibers:
            http://knowledgeglue.com/what-are-the-most-popular-calibers-in-the-us/
            Attached Files
            Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post

In an American Rifleman list it was #7, but toss the .223 and .308 it would make Top 5. Tough to tell how much .223 and .308 goes to the hoarders and AR blasting crowd. Almost every maker chambers a bolt rifle in .300 WM. Who's to say?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                Without a detailed survey by region it would be hard to say what's the most popular for deer. But, for overall sales here's some food for thought:

Here are Federal’s top sellers from 2014:

1. .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO
                2. .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO
                3. .30-’06 Springfield
                4. .30-30 Winchester
                5. .270 Winchester
                6. .243 Winchester
                7. .300 Winchester Magnum
                8. 7mm Remington Magnum
                9. 7.62x39
                10. .300 Winchester Short Magnum
                11. .22-250 Remington
                https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2015/12/20/america-s-most-wanted-ammunition/

Another article I found from 2015 attempted to show all calibers:
                http://knowledgeglue.com/what-are-the-most-popular-calibers-in-the-us/
                Looks like the .30-06 is more than twice as popular as the .270 so there, that should be the end of that old argument ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post

WAM, I'd be surprised to see the 300 WM in the top 5 for those states with no elk hunting. My brother is the only one I know using it here in Alabama. But, I've also seen him to use .338 WM on these poor whitetail. Says he doesn't like tracking wounded game...

Comment

I imagine if you take out .223 Pighunter's Federal list is about right with .308 having enough cross over into the tactical shooting sports to muddy the waters.

Comment

I'd have to venture a guess that overall, top five whitetail rounds would be (in no particular order) 270, 243, 30-06, 30-30, and I have no clue. I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that those are 4 of the top five. I'd guess 308 would be a good candidate for the fifth spot.

Comment

Although it is one of our most useful cartridges, I doubt that it is tops for deer. I suspect the .308, 30-30 and 30-06 have far more hunters in deer camps. Out west deer can be seen for miles so a longer range cartridge can be more useful. However the majority of deer shooting takes place in the eastern U.S. at ranges of less than 200 yards. My favorite for deer is a 25-06 for deer. I've never shot a deer with my .300 Dakota as I consider it way overkill unless they are more than 600 yards away.

Comment

I would say the 30-30 has taken more whitetail deer than any other cartridge - mainly because the number of years it has been around. Before that the 25-35 and 25-20 would be right up there.

Comment

.30 caliber is surely the most popular caliber, but i disagree that the .300 win mag is the most popular deer cartridge. I'd guess it's the .30/06 easily.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              How would anybody know? First, you would have to poll everybody in every state that hunts deer , even shotgun only. Then correlate it with ammo sales (which the 223 would kill it) as well as new gun sales. Sounds like isolated polling ( such as polling being conducted on a sniper or long range forum) as opposed to every body. I myself fall into the classically handsome, hidden genius group, thus am a natural 7mm-08 fan.
                              I'm in the NY chapter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad