Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't a 9mm hollow point good enough to take down a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OutdoorTeacher View Post
    I would be much more comfortable with the idea of a 9mm out of a carbine for deer. I think it will kill a deer, but I don't think it would be a quick kill, and I think that should be the goal of all responsible sportsmen.

I think it should be noted that deer are much tougher than people. I have seen a deer get arrowed through both lungs and run 300 yards. I doubt there is a person alive that could run 300 yards with two punctured lungs. So while 9mm may seem adequate for police and military use, I don't think it quite fits the bill for hunting.
    Buckshot, I have had several deer whose legs kept running after they hit the ground. I actually got kicked in the shin a few seasons ago when I walked up to a deer and did the obligate "poke in the eye with the barrel" routine to make sure it was completely dead. The thing kicked me right in the leg and left a massive bruise. My own dumb fault for standing in the spot I did.

Comment

While I wouldn't recommend hunting deer with a pistol chambered for the 9mm luger, if someone had their heart set on doing it I would suggest that they use a bullet such as Lehigh Defenses Extreme Penetrator.

Comment

The down side of using any handgun ammunition for deer hunting is the amount of time wasted following blood trails.

Comment

Hows it going i know shooting in the shoulder I've never had to follow a blood trail, drops where they stand. And ive seen 22 be effective too

Comment

It's not the cartridge, it's the average hunter.

If you can't consistently smash a 2 inch square with your handgun at 20 yards, use a rifle. The 9mm round will kill the deer, eventually. But if you miss the heart, you'll chase the deer and it will survive for a bit. Not humane or responsible.

Comment

When I look at the ballistic charts of handguns I figure you'd do about as well just picking up the bullets and throwing them like rocks or something. Goes for self defence rounds too. There's a reason our armed forces are issued a 22 that spits 65 grain bullets at 3.000 feet per second, and it isn't just accuracy at medium distances.

Comment

Who drags up a 6 year old thread?
                Awesome possum! NOT!

Comment

I believe this is a four-year-old thread thread, and it's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                    I believe this is a four-year-old thread thread, and it's a good one.
                    You also believe fraud is ok as long as it can’t be proven or at least covered up . You and Rock Rat added nothing to this thread. The 9mm parabellum have killed mor people than any other handgun round in history so I believe in the simplest form of the question the answer would be yes. A better answer is it is not advisable unless it was a last resort. Rock Rats statement that throwing bullets like rocks is just as well is somewhat no matter how tongue and cheek is ridiculous ! His analysis of ballistic charts explains his analysis of political events. He would be an interesting duel partner to say the least. I hope he has a strong arm. I agree with FB this is a old and really worthless thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
                      When I look at the ballistic charts of handguns I figure you'd do about as well just picking up the bullets and throwing them like rocks or something. Goes for self defence rounds too. There's a reason our armed forces are issued a 22 that spits 65 grain bullets at 3.000 feet per second, and it isn't just accuracy at medium distances.
                      I hope you never get into a gun fight unless you have a strong arm because you are going to lose! Your brilliance in many matters in quite underwhelming! Thanks for the chuckle!

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                        I hope you never get into a gun fight unless you have a strong arm because you are going to lose! Your brilliance in many matters in quite underwhelming! Thanks for the chuckle!
                        I had to chuckle too pmacc60! LOL!
                        The reason our guys are "issued" a .22 at near 3k/fps is due to bureaucrats in DC that have attempted to combine "military" and "intelligence" in the same sentence! LOL!

Please note that 90% of our overseas adversaries "STILL" employee the 7.62×39 and routinely kill our guys while we still struggle with the .22 caliber peashooters.

One of the very reasons they developed the 6.8mm Rem SPC! As I understand it, though the military never adopted the 6.8mm, some SOG forward operators still use the 6.8mm round. They got tired of the anemic 5.56/.223 not doing the job, or only partially doing the job.
                        Same with the 9mm.
                        In WWI, the issued sidearm was a S&W .38 Spl.
                        It would not stop doped up Turks, so the army went to the .45 ACP.
                        Prior to WWII, the military went to the 9mm.
                        The 9mm wouldn't stop doped up Japs and Germans. Back to the .45 ACP.

Here we are again, dealing with chemically enhanced warriors with inadequate firearms.

P.S. - you wouldn't take a knife to a gun fight, but the stone rodent prefers pebbles!
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 12-03-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump's pardon blitz
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          Impeaching a govt official who is no longer in office is not something new. The precedent dates to 19th century when a former cabinet member (Secty of...
                          Today, 12:58 AM
                        • Trump's pardon blitz
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          I can maybe understand Trump pardoning some of his cronies in jail, but the Detroit mayor who's in jail for corruption and two rappers convicted of federal...
                          01-20-2021, 10:02 AM
                        • Reply to Most useful thing ...
                          by PigHunter
                          I've upgraded much of my gear in the last 18 months. This has been a mild winter and I had no problem staying warm. Here's what's been working well:...
                          Today, 12:52 AM
                        • Most useful thing ...
                          by MattM37
                          What's been your most useful new gear or clothing purchase the last few months?...
                          01-25-2021, 04:53 PM
                        • Reply to Ammo Shortage ??
                          by jhjimbo
                          There is a video of Federal President and he said they are going full out 24/7. Showed us in a tour of the Minn Plant. Several reasons for hard to find...
                          Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X