Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true that deer get CWD from baits such as mineral licks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true that deer get CWD from baits such as mineral licks?

Is it true that deer get CWD from baits such as mineral licks?

They can get it if they ingest any saliva from an infected animal.

Comment

I agree I would worry so much about the mineral block as much as the fact that if just one deer with CWD licks the mineral lick, there is the potential for other deer to become infected. I would check with your local Fish and Wildlife dept. and see if there have been any cases of CWD in your area, and what the chances are of deer being infected with it CWD if you put out a mineral lick.

Comment

No.

Comment

There is a lot about CWD we still don’t know about.

It wasn’t until recently discovered hepatitis C, Military Personnel are at 5 times more risk of being exposed to it than the national average. If you ever received shots from a pneumatic gun then you do need to get tested for it.

Bottom line, When the “Lab Coat Guys” think they figured it all out, Mother Nature throws in a curve ball!

Comment

CWD and EHD both are spread by contact with the body fluids of infected animals. Deer feeders, mineral licks or any other source that concentrates deer unnaturally or forces them to eat or lick in a "communal" fashion greatly increases the risk of spreading such diseases.

Comment

maby a little but i think its what the CO's want us to think

Comment

no there is a very very very small chance.

Comment

I agree with Beekeeper. I lived in CO when they had the problem start out there, not a good thing. However, I relate it to the TB problem in MI, I knew a guy that headed up that study and he wasn't totally convinced the problem was as big as they said it was.

I think the DNR prefer to put that fear in us to cover there ass. Just like the media getting a hold of a story and running with it. Sometimes things get blown out of proportion, but it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Some people sure think so

Nate

Comment

No... but CWD is more apt to spread when using mineral licks and bait. This is becuase multiple deer are now in close proximity around the bait. That is why baiting was outlawed in the lower peninsula of Michigan this past hunting season.

Comment

No. They get it from mouth-to-mouth contact which can occur at these types of places which is why some places with CWD outlaw it.

Comment

They do not get it from mineral licks but mineral licks cause it. They bring a mass amount of deer together in one place and then multiple amounts of deer lick the same salt lick and then it gets bad.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

No!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X