Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are everyones views about fenced hunting and baiting

What are everyones views about fenced hunting and baiting

what is better Thompson center muzzle loaders or CVA (Connecticut valley arms)

Comment

Depends on how much area is inside the fence. If it is less than a 1000 acres I'm not much for it. Over a 1000 acres and there is some challenge... but over all I would prefer free range and no fences.

I do not like baiting at all. There is no challenge to sitting on a feeder. Sooner or later game will show up. To me this is like shooting a cow in a feed lot. Feeding deer from a feeder also greatly increases the risk of spreading diseases such as EHD or Chronic Wasting Disease.

There are those that say food plots are just feeders. I disagree with that also. Food plots done right require an investment of time, labor, equipment, money and cooperation from mother nature. They will provide sustinance for deer after the season when they need good balanced nutrition the most. With food plots 1/4 acre or larger there is less chance of spreading disease and forages don't upset the balance of a deer's rumen the way some feeds do.

Comment

I don't hold with any fenced in area that holds game for hunting. It's not really hunting if you have them fenced in where they can't get away for good. If you can't kill a deer if 100 % fair chase conditions then you probably don't need to hunt. As far as baiting deer or any other animal for that matter I won't sit over corn and anything like that. I don't personally have a problem with food plots though.

Comment

fenced hunting is asanine baiting is ok if you dont hunt over it

Comment

I think baiting takes the fun and challenge out of hunting. But I understand if its done later in the year, because hunting can get pretty hard, and some people just need the venison.

Comment

A trophy buck would not mean much to me if it was: 1. Shot by someone else. 2. Shot over bait. 3.Shot inside a high fence. 4. Hit by a vehicle.
              On the other hand when hunting for meat. Anything legal such as baiting is fine with me. After all in that case the idea is to get meat not a trophy. Today I photographed Steve Binkley's huge 242 inch buck. He is AWESOME and said to be worth many $K. Not worth much to me 'cause I didn't shoot him.

Comment

I'll jump on the bandwagon, High Fences arn't good for anything except business. People paying money to shoot that "once in a lifetime buck" when really... Its a deer that has basically been grown, and doesn't hold the same characteristics of a "wild" and "free range" deer where survival for them is a neccisity. As far as baiting, I've hunted on bait and even this year sat on a feeder or two. Heres where I'll disagree a tad bit. Putting feeders up isn't just a promise for deer to show up. I live in central FL and have put out gravity feeders and have watched deer literley walk around my feeder. Now I do prefer hunting away from bait just because of the challenge, But I do use bait to get the deer to come in my general area, for example, My 5 acres surronded by 250. Or my side of the fence instead of my buddys side of the fence which he happens to hunt. All in all hunting is hunting, Its a challenging sport.

Comment

BTW, Steve's buck is locked in a vault at undisclosed location except when the Taxidermist is working on the mount.

Comment

i beleive baiting and high fences are OK

Comment

I like to bait in post rut for the fact that there are few food sources. Where I hunt, that is the only way you will see deer. I am not a fan on fenced hunting, unless the area is a large area (1000+ acres).

Comment

fenced hunding is just wrong. i bait up intill 2 weeks before the season, just to get pictures an see what is still around. but i would never hunt over it.

Comment

There is no sport to fenced hunting, there is a high fence hunting setup near my home and I don't see the sport in it. You can walk up to the fence and see the exotics and other game sitting ther like they are pets waiting for you to pet them.

Fair Chase is always better in my opinion

Comment

If it is legal, I am not the type of person to put someone down for choosing to hunt that way. I personally would not want to hunt in a fenced in area, or use bait to hunt either, but there is nothing wrong with doing either if it is legal. I do think that B&C should never change its rules to include any type of animal harvested within fences, regardless of how many acres are involved.

Comment

Wrong and wrong again, it is never fair to hunt and animal that is fenced in, and I don't care how large the area is. This is not how hunting should be. Bait, I have mixed feelings on this topic if done right, meaning food plots, not just piles of gain. Let us all remember, that the word hunt, truly means putting your skills verses the animals, not fencing them in or bringing them to a bait pile. Hunters use your skills...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad