Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when bow hunting whitetails would it be better to be in a tree or on the ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when bow hunting whitetails would it be better to be in a tree or on the ground?

when bow hunting whitetails would it be better to be in a tree or on the ground?

Depends on the particular set-up, but for me, tree

Comment

also depends on how comfortable you are shooting from a tree stand. As long as you practice shooting from a tree stand you shouldnt have a problem though...I prefer a blind, that way theres no tree blocking your shot when that big monster comes from behind you!

Comment

depends on you surroundings if you have some good cover next to a field or game trail it is definitely safer on the ground. happy hunting

Comment

Trees help keep your scent up higher, and you are out of sight. It's a lot easier to get your draw in up there. But you are stuck. I like the ground.

Comment

I use which ever fits the situation best. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

I use what is best for the particular situation. It depends on many variables such as wind, availible ground/tree cover, time of hunt, direction deer aproach, shot distances, and much more. I usually hunt from a tree, but occasionally I like to stalk deer from the ground.

Comment

Tree stands are good for keeping scent out of area, BUT I have seen does that were looking up into the trees in several area's. They had yearling with them.
                I'm guessing they had been shot at before.

Comment

I always try to set up in a tree. Sometimes that's impossible, but that's what I prefer. I feel that it lets me get a closer, more comfortable shot.

Comment

Hunting from the ground affords the opportunity to move towards a deer that might otherwise walk past out of range and offers a better shot angle. Hunting from a tree gives you a broader killing zone above the foilage but offers no mobility and exposes you to the elements and the sight of the deer.

Comment

you must be on ground to rattle effectively. i prefer an elevated stand.

Comment

I use both methods depending on the terrain, but I think that I've shot more from the elevated stand.

Comment

I like both, but being on the ground at their level, brings something extra. I prefer a tree.

Comment

i like the tree for archery and the ground for rifles

Comment

Bowhunting i'm usually in a tree, but i shot a buck last year with my bow from the ground. It was very exciting. With a rifle i'm never in a tree.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad