Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here strictly hunts public land? What do you do differently from the other flocks of hunters to bag that big mature buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here strictly hunts public land? What do you do differently from the other flocks of hunters to bag that big mature buck?

Who here strictly hunts public land? What do you do differently from the other flocks of hunters to bag that big mature buck?

well if you want the mature buck
    you have to walk a half a mile or more to get a way from other hunters and you have to make shure to be sent free and be hidden they are a lot more weriy than other deer and get on good trail that they take alot and just hope he comes through
    that is what i did and shoot a big ten

Comment

well if you want the mature buck
      you have to walk a half a mile or more to get a way from other hunters and you have to make shure to be sent free and be hidden they are a lot more weriy than other deer and get on good trail that they take alot and just hope he comes through
      that is what i did and shoot a big ten

Comment

When you hunt public land you need to think escape trails and thickets and forget about looking for scrapes and rubs. That said I like to hunt the private land nearby. My favorite stand is watching an escape trail on private land in Missouri. Never failed to see numerous bucks on opening day leaving the public land. Don't be afraid to get out there and knock on doors. Knock on 10 and someone will say yes. Get a number of yes' and cull them by scouting and hunt the best ones.

Comment

Del is right, escape trail hunting is a successful tactic I like to employ. Get topo maps of the areas you hunt and look for areas where terrain will guide the animals to you.

In my state we have a great deal of public land which gets moderate to low pressure. 95% of the hunters hunt within 100-200 yards of the roads (data from DNR survey). Get your maps and mark this distance off the roads in red. Then take stock of what remains and you will finds some great honeyholes! You just have to get away from the roads. One last thing, be stealthy getting into such an area, a lot of noise and walking around will just push the game out.

Comment

I prefer hunting edges. For examle; hardwood/softwood, cuttings, swamps, and ridges.Deer often hang in these tranzitional areas its like a feed/bed or escape line. If they bust you they head for the shit. Stillhunt ever so slow and use some optics. One you've located some deer find the quickest and quietest way to get into that area. If you think you have a bead on where the Buck is bedding down wait for a quiet day say rain or snow ond go get him. Remember he's only going to give you one or two chances to shoot so be ready. I've shot my last two deer in the rain. Both at less than 30 yards. Something about the rain.

Comment

Del in Kansas pretty much nailed it! I found the bucks running the ridge tops just past the hunting pressure. A little pressure helps but the monster bucks are in the thickest and most hardest place to get to!

Comment

Lots of time getting to know an area, patience to sit for days and watch places you know a deer will cross. Getting back into places others lack ambition or ability to get into to. Also lots and lots of luck.

Comment

You have to work harder than other hunters. Go somewhere thats difficult to access, but will contain deer. Other hunters will be too lazy to go where you go, and the smart bucks will want to get away from all the hunting pressure.

Comment

In short: Go Earlier, Go Farther, Stay Longer, and Hunt Harder than anyone else.

If you go earlier and farther you can be in ahead of most hunters you can use them to push deer to you. I try to deer hunt like I turkey hunt. I get in about an hour before daylight and stay all day. you will be pleasantly surprised at daylight noon and dark when the other hunters are moving around and stirring deer, this works just like using dog but without the melody. I can't get the other hunters to bark for me!

Be scent free, glass a lot and move slowly. Most people hunt too fast. Also if you have horses they work great and are better hunting partners than most people. you can see their ears and nostrils flare long before you will usually see the deer. Also they will get you further, faster, and quieter than walking and are better on harsh ground than 4 wheelers.

Comment

I agree with the escape trail logic. Go farther than most other hunters will go and you should have a nice quiet spot where the deer will head to when the flocks of other hunters take the short hike into the woods.

Comment

Escape trail hunting is a successful tactic to use!

Comment

Escape trail hunting is a successful tactic to use!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                          • Reply to Trump
                            by crm3006
                            From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                            Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                            Today, 04:20 PM
                          • Trump
                            by Danbo
                            https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                            04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by FirstBubba
                            Ya know bhr!
                            I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                            Today, 03:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X