Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

have any of you shot a coyote and if so with what.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've shot 15-18 with a Mauser 25-06 and 4 with a 22 Mag., three of the mag. ones last winter. I've never shot one with a shotgun and can't remember trying. I have tried to shoot one with a bow and My hats off to anyone who's pulled this stunt off, very difficult indeed. The 25-06 is definitely more gun than you need and the 22 Magnum is only for the patient close range hunter.

Comment

I shot my first one with a 444 Marlin while I was deer hunting. A little over kill, but I made a nice top of the neck shot.

Comment

30/06 in south texas

Comment

wssm 223 in ky

Comment

Teodoro-
            In one coyote, I found,a ball of fur and feathers mixed together,bigger than a softball,a rabbit and squirrel totally intact,just as if someone had just skinned them,and the upper neck vertebrae of a digested turkey, and a whole field mouse!

That was in just one coyote, that I had shot getting ready to catch another turkey in mid-flight from the ground.

Those predators have a relentless appetite. That's why I shoot one everytime I see one. I opened one up and it had a house cat in it,and there wasn't a house around for miles ...

Comment

if you arent worried about keeping the animal in tact and just want to get rid of the nuisance beasts use whatever you want. Ive shot them with .22 in a leg trap, or with a 30-06, or even 12 gauge slugs

Comment

With my Thompson and Center Muzzleloader

Comment

Thanks for the details.

Comment

I have shot them with .22/250, 12 gauge slugs(makes a little bit of a mess at 10 yards), .30/06, my favorite to shoot them with is the .22/250 it drops them with a well placed shot.

Comment

2Poppa

Sort of like a 'land shark' LOL

I'm not sure I'm up to opening up those flea bags....

Comment

I've relied on the Rem. 700 Varmint in .22-250 and Win M70 Featherweight in .223 for the past 18+ years. Prior to that, I used a Sako L461 in .222 Rem. For a time in the late '60s, I used a .308 Win., and before that (pre-1965), a .30-'06 topped with a Weaver K10 and using 125-grain bullets. In truth, any accurate reliably accurate rifle I've owned did a decent job, but these were my choices based on their proven performance.

Comment

12 gauge #5 and finaly died of lead poisoning after 50 rounds!

22 to 338 Win Mag

Comment

.223 would probably be your best load but a 12 gauge with a coyote load would do well too if you did not want to damage the fur too much.

Comment

A 7mm mag.And ive caught 1 in trap...we killed it with a metal pole in the back of the head....it died quicker than witht the 7 mag.

Comment

I killed several. with anything from a .22 rifle, 30-06, 12ga, one with a 9mm pistol and another with a Judge using .410 #4 shot

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad