Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best thing to feed deer in winter

What is the best thing to feed deer in winter

If they are eating out of a food plot than a winter wheat, alfalfa, winter peas blend is good for them. If it's not a food plot than corn or even hay will do very well.

Comment

Deer will eat tons of corn all year round. Cant go wrong there.

Comment

Del I've had a lot of luck with canola food plots in Kansas. Like rabbit said though if its not a plot corn and milo work really well. If you want more info on my plots look at the message board http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/hunting/whitetails/food-plots

Comment

Corn from a feeder with a timer.

Comment

I forgot, whatever it is spread it out. Deer will fight over the food in the winter and the smaller ones won't get any if it's in a small pile.

Comment

Lead, or arrow tips- just kidding. Deer around here line up for alfa alfa and apples.

Comment

Whole corn.....try Tractor Supply for cheap corn.

Comment

Whole corn.....try Tractor Supply for cheap corn.

Comment

In the midwest its unlikely alfalfa or milo will be standing very long, it'll get ate or snowed under as you must know. I'd go to a Co-op and get the cheapest protein type meal available, you can buy in bulk pretty reasonable. And buckhunter gave a good tip about spreading it out.

Comment

Whole corn, apples or apple mash, and alfalfa. DON'T feed hay!!!

Comment

I'm going to disagree here with most and say go green. winter wheat, clover, peas, beans. Corn is great but I think there are better things out there that will last longer.

also the crows and squirrils won't eat as much of them like they do corn. Trust me I've got hundreds of pictures from a game cam of crows, squirrils and other stuff eating my deer corn.

Comment

i feed corn

Comment

In MI we can't bait, so food plots are your only bet. I have tried several mixes, but rape or brassicas have worked well in the winter. Also any thing like corn or soybeans is always a good bet. If you can supplement minerals too.

Comment

corn seed wheat seed is the best way to go

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad