Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is the best state to hunt whitetails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think is the best state to hunt whitetails?

What do you think is the best state to hunt whitetails?

It's not Ohio so just STAY OUT! lol

Comment

Oklahoma

Comment

Depends on how big of whitetail you want, Kansas has some good sized deer and a good population, Nebraska has a good popluation but smaller deer than Kansas as far as body size.

Comment

There are several states that have been known for producing big bucks consistently; Ohio, Illinois, Kansas, and Iowa are some of the most well known. Out of those I would go with Iowa.

Comment

It also depends on what u want to hunt with cause in some of those states you cannot use rifle

Comment

I'd say all the midwest states: Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin.

Comment

Today I saw Steve Binkley's 242 inch Iowa non-typical. That deer is a HOG! My hunting buddy is the Taxidermist on that one. He was shot just North of MO. All the guys above make good points. I hunt Kansas and MO. It is hard to choose but Northern MO is very good now. They have quality deer management and a huge herd. Click my name and look at the pic of 2 bucks we shot opening day 08 in Mo. Those are nice but we have seen bigger deer that got away. Five yr ago we would see 3 or 4 bucks and 20 doe. Now we see 10 bucks and 10 does and 5 of those bucks are 8 point or better. The NR tag is cheaper in MO and doe tags are unlimited for only $7 each.

Comment

Great bucks Del. Congrats. Being from Ohio I hear a lot about the Kansas and Iowa. I think Ohio is an overlooked big buck factory. We've got the Beatty and the Schumaker bucks to our credit. It's an over the counter tag for non-residents and fairly cheap too. The only problem is that public land is limited.

Oh, by the way, the "Stay Out of Ohio" comment was a joke. If someone thought I was serious I apologize.

Comment

I would agree with Iowa also!

Comment

People are going to say Kansas, Ohio, and Iowa of course and I agree they are good states. I hunt in Northern Missouri and there's some biggins up here.

Comment

The Midwest is great for whitetail hunting. I live in SouthWest Illinois a few counties south from the famous Pike county. There are many large deer killed every year around here and for use large is 160 or better. I do warn you that areas known to produce good deer also come with high hunting pressure and high ground prices. So I would recommend moving to the lesser known areas or areas outside of the crowd. Where I live there are great Public Hunting Areas and BELIEVE ME there are BIG bucks on public ground. You just have to do the work to find them.

Comment

Kansas

Comment

Corn belt states and Kansas

Comment

i believe nebraska is they have a great population and great body size and very nice horns i shot a 156 class typical this year and a 142 class non typical last year

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad