Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used a .375 H&H for deer hunting? If so, what size bullet did you use and how did it work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used a .375 H&H for deer hunting? If so, what size bullet did you use and how did it work?

Has anyone used a .375 H&H; for deer hunting? If so, what size bullet did you use and how did it work?

No, but I would go as small as the calibur will allow. Bit much for deer, probably will not run very far though. Let your shoulder rest.

Comment

I've got am uncle that has. Not sure what size round.
      As Mr. Cooper would say BANG, FLOP !
      Sorry could'nt be more help.

Comment

One of my friends(6'11"-384lbs)used a 375H&H for everything. I believe that he shot a 270 gr. bullet. The rifle was a old Browning Medallion grade that was made in Belgium. No matter what time of year in was, if you looked over in Tom's passenger seat there was that rifle. I know that he shot quite a few deer with this rifle and his one moose after he finally got drawn in the lottery. He also made a pretty good shot on a woodchuck one day. I'm guessing the chuck was 160-170 yards out and he laid on the ground and squeezed one off. The bullet didn't appear to expand at all-big going in-big going out. You know that you're getting up there when you miss more and more of the guys you care about.

Comment

ova kill. maja ovakill. YOU WOULD RUIN TOO MUCH MEAT. THAT IS NOT WHAT ANY NORMAL HUNTER WOULD WANT TO DO-BE WASTEFUL. OF COURSE IF IT IS ALL YOU HAVE THEN SHOOT THE SMALLEST BULLET YOU CAN FIND AND A ROUND WHITHOUT A LOT OF EXPANSION!

Comment

I wouldn't use it for deer, but I can say you will defvinately want to use light loads. Probably a little powder with a 300 grain bullet would be great.

Comment

never shot a deer with on but dad has shot impala, warthog, and coyotes. he uses federal soft point 300 grain. the coyotes flipped in the air and had baseball size holes in them.

but on deer i would say go for smaller caliber.

Comment

No, Not me!

Comment

No, Not me!

Comment

No, Not me!

Comment

No, Not me!

Comment

No, Not me!

Comment

Originally posted by meagel View Post
                          ova kill. maja ovakill. YOU WOULD RUIN TOO MUCH MEAT. THAT IS NOT WHAT ANY NORMAL HUNTER WOULD WANT TO DO-BE WASTEFUL. OF COURSE IF IT IS ALL YOU HAVE THEN SHOOT THE SMALLEST BULLET YOU CAN FIND AND A ROUND WHITHOUT A LOT OF EXPANSION!
                          Not true.

Comment

Long before I was born my dad used a 375 H&H on a deer hunt in Alaska. He was able to take a buck with a very long shot. I think the H&H was the only rifle he had there, plus with the possibility of a bear being in the mix, it was a great move. I think he used a 260 grain bullet in the pre-64 Winchester Model 70.

Comment

I like the way this topic illustrates how Rudyglove was able to pile on millions of points so fast.
                              On some topics, his answer was "$$$" posted fifteen or sixteen times in rapid succession.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                                Today, 10:41 AM
                              • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                                Today, 06:43 PM
                              • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by buckhunter
                                Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                                Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                              • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by Solitario Lupo
                                So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                                Today, 06:20 PM
                              • Peripheral Vision
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                                Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X