Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Buck Jam really work? I tried a Big&J Block and the deer just were not into it. So I brought the Buck Jam and a apple flavored mineral block. Does anybody know anything about these and do they really work? I am hunting whitetail deer in northea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Buck Jam really work? I tried a Big&J Block and the deer just were not into it. So I brought the Buck Jam and a apple flavored mineral block. Does anybody know anything about these and do they really work? I am hunting whitetail deer in northea

Does Buck Jam really work? I tried a Big&J; Block and the deer just were not into it. So I brought the Buck Jam and a apple flavored mineral block. Does anybody know anything about these and do they really work? I am hunting whitetail deer in northeast ohio. If they dont work, does anybody know of anything that actually works? Thanks in advance!!

Buck jam has not been that great in my experience. Hogs love it. And mineral blocks when I put them out I use acorn rage or the corn liquid on top of them. But I take a paddle but a drill holes about six inches down and fill it up slowly when I put it out. I can tell you hogs love it. If your a cheap skate like me buy a cattle mineral block and drill holes all the way around it and split it in half with a hammer and a big screwdriver them drill the two halves and split again then you have four little blocks the. Take a 1 3/8 paddle bits and drill 4 or 5 holes about 3/4 of an inch deep and when you put the blocks out pour topper on them and then the deer have to work to get it out. Or better yet just keep the two big halves and and drill 3/4 holes about 3 inches deep and fill with topper. It's harder for a critter to run off with it if it's a large chunk.

Comment

Man I use that stuff just cause my dad buys it with false hopes, gets frustrated and gives it to me, and i figure deer like sweet stuff. Before all of this commercial stuff they used plain molasses or peanut butter. Then there's stuff "just for hogs" or "bears". It's all sweet and they all love it.. Bottom line.

Comment

Pour some sweet stuff on a rotten stump and the deer will eat and lick on it, but it ain't the end-all, be-all deer lure that they'd have you believe.

This is the wrong time of year for mineral or salt licks. The deer may use it infrequently now, but early spring to early summer is when they really tear up the salt. I like to buy loose mineral salt and mix it into the ground, or put it on the aforementioned rotten stump. They much prefer to eat the dirt mixed with salt than to lick a block. If you can't live without using block salt, bury the block in the ground and the deer will thank you for it.

If you can't actually put out bait, such as corn, apples, etc., you'd kind of be wasting your money on those buck jam attractants. I've wasted enough of my own money trying them with no luck.

Comment

And for what it is worth I've never shot at a deer licking any of the junk I've put out. But like I said it will bring the hogs and usually the critters out of the wood work

Comment

Just use corn. Plain old whole kernel shelled corn. Don't hunt it unless you have a perfect wind, and don't hunt it until you have deer coming in during daylight hours (use a trail camera).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad