Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a such thing as having too many white oaks dropping acorns on your property? Because that is the problem I am having on my lease right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorns are a deer's best food source for natural survival. The only downfall I see is someone stepping on them and falling as though they were marbles underfoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
      LL, they are also dropping like crazy here in Jersey. I planted a couple that had a white root coming out in my acorn bear bucket.

How long does it take a white oak to grow and start dropping acorns?

BTW, that was a heart breaker game against State.
      Gary, i believe about 8 years before an oak produces acorns.

Comment

Same problem here. Find the freshest sign, and hunt it. Or hunt where the acorns are falling right now. Deer like the fresh ones I.m told.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          You are One Lucky Guy to have White Oaks, In Fla, We have some Red Oaks and a TON of Live Oaks, It's a lucky Man to have a stand near a Red Oak Tree, Deer will eat Red Oak A-corns before eating Live Oak acorns. The last time I saw White Oaks was in Up-State New York!!
          I'm here in in Central South Carolina. First year I've seen white oaks in the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Has anyone collected the acorns while they are falling and, after all the trees are bare, using the acorns as food?
            Thats an idea. Just hope they don't rot before I can toss them back out

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
              Big acorn years are tough, but it gets better as the season progresses and more of them get eaten up. My philosophy is that since the food is everywhere, ignore it and hunt the sign.
              We just found a huge community scrape the other day and put a climber inbetween that and the oak ridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                LL, they are also dropping like crazy here in Jersey. I planted a couple that had a white root coming out in my acorn bear bucket.

How long does it take a white oak to grow and start dropping acorns?

BTW, that was a heart breaker game against State.
                Thanks Steve! Maybe I will live long enough to to see the fruits of my labor.

Comment

Originally posted by steve182 View Post
                  Same problem here. Find the freshest sign, and hunt it. Or hunt where the acorns are falling right now. Deer like the fresh ones I.m told.
                  Thanks for answering my white oak question. + 1

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Just Right
                    by 99explorer
                    Aileen Carol Wuornos was an American serial killer. In 1989–1990, while engaging in street prostitution along highways in Florida, she shot dead and robbed...
                    Today, 09:44 AM
                  • Just Right
                    by jhjimbo
                    Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                    06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                  • Reply to Just Right
                    by FirstBubba
                    labrador12

"... I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! ..."

A handgun is to get you to your long gun! LOL!
                    Today, 09:34 AM
                  • Reply to Just Right
                    by dewman
                    Wasn't offended my amigo, only confused. Lately my default setting 🤦🏻‍♂️👍🏻Not a fan as well. I carry a 357 when I'm packing....
                    Today, 09:33 AM
                  • Reply to Just Right
                    by FirstBubba
                    Lot's of folks carry the 9mm. In fact, several federal agencies have dropped the .40 S&W for the 9mm.
                    I think and the agency I'm most familiar...
                    Today, 09:31 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X