Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a such thing as having too many white oaks dropping acorns on your property? Because that is the problem I am having on my lease right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a such thing as having too many white oaks dropping acorns on your property? Because that is the problem I am having on my lease right now.

Is there a such thing as having too many white oaks dropping acorns on your property? Because that is the problem I am having on my lease right now.

Yes, if there are acorns everywhere, there is no reason for game to be in any one particular place. Makes it hard to determine where to hunt---kind of pick a place at random and hope for the best.

Comment

LL, they are also dropping like crazy here in Jersey. I planted a couple that had a white root coming out in my acorn bear bucket.

How long does it take a white oak to grow and start dropping acorns?

BTW, that was a heart breaker game against State.

Comment

Well, sooner or later, they all get eaten. So look sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
          LL, they are also dropping like crazy here in Jersey. I planted a couple that had a white root coming out in my acorn bear bucket.

How long does it take a white oak to grow and start dropping acorns?

BTW, that was a heart breaker game against State.
          Don;t think anybody in the world thought that State would have pulled off that last second miracle

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
            Yes, if there are acorns everywhere, there is no reason for game to be in any one particular place. Makes it hard to determine where to hunt---kind of pick a place at random and hope for the best.
            Thats pretty much what my buddy and I have been doing. Playing the wind,and also hunting trails leading to the oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by ITHACASXS View Post
              Well, sooner or later, they all get eaten. So look sharp.
              Got to be at the right place at the right time I guess

Comment

Yeah, countryroad is pretty well spot on.
                If you can, determine bedding areas and/or water sources. That may help you somewhat as that's the next most important spots.

Comment

I've got so many that the deer are ignoring the corn feeder.

Comment

Patience. They will come. Yes, they will come

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      Yeah, countryroad is pretty well spot on.
                      If you can, determine bedding areas and/or water sources. That may help you somewhat as that's the next most important spots.
                      We know all of the bedding and water sources. Right now we are trying to set up on trails in between everything.

Comment

Not when the does come into season. They'll be feeding and bucks will be cruising for them. Dewman's right.

Comment

Big acorn years are tough, but it gets better as the season progresses and more of them get eaten up. My philosophy is that since the food is everywhere, ignore it and hunt the sign.

Comment

Has anyone collected the acorns while they are falling and, after all the trees are bare, using the acorns as food?

Comment

You are One Lucky Guy to have White Oaks, In Fla, We have some Red Oaks and a TON of Live Oaks, It's a lucky Man to have a stand near a Red Oak Tree, Deer will eat Red Oak A-corns before eating Live Oak acorns. The last time I saw White Oaks was in Up-State New York!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Just Right
                                by FirstBubba
                                Your mention of the .380/9mm is what drew my attention.
                                I meant no offense to you or anyone else.
                                I just don't think the .380 or the 9mm aren't...
                                Today, 08:44 AM
                              • Just Right
                                by jhjimbo
                                Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                                06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                              • Reply to Just Right
                                by dewman
                                FB: your comment confuses me as to why you put it in the context of quoting me? How does what I said have any bearing on the point you were making?
                                Today, 08:23 AM
                              • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                                by FirstBubba
                                Safe travels, mi amigo!...
                                Today, 07:44 AM
                              • TGIF; Armageddon
                                by fitch270
                                Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Yesterday, 07:11 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X