Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is best mineral lick for deer in the summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best mineral lick for deer in the summer?

What is best mineral lick for deer in the summer?

Three years ago, I put out a brown mineral block and faced a trial camera toward the block. Believe or not but the only ones licking the block via trail camera were the little guys.
    True Story!

Here is one of my salt block photos below.
    Attached Files

Comment

You would do better putting out a feeder of "some type" with 16%~20% protein Deer feed or a Mix with Crack Corn added.This is better then any Salt Lick.

Go on line:Pole feeders/Deer feeders."If Legal in your state" Off~season and In~season.

Comment

A regular old salt block is just fine---you can use a mineral block if you want to. YOU HAVE TO BURY THE BLOCK FOR THE DEER TO USE IT THE MOST. They will primarily end up eating the ground around the block. You can buy loose salt and work it into the ground to good effect, too.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
          A regular old salt block is just fine---you can use a mineral block if you want to. YOU HAVE TO BURY THE BLOCK FOR THE DEER TO USE IT THE MOST. They will primarily end up eating the ground around the block. You can buy loose salt and work it into the ground to good effect, too.
          You can buy 40 lbs bags of rock salt at Home Depot for under $5
          That is a lot of salt! Toss it in mud puddles or rake it into soil

Comment

I get a bag of loose mineral from Tractor Supply. Its called general purpose mineral. Don't waste your money on stuff marketed for deer, it is the same ingredents used for livestock. It is alot cheaper to go that route.

Comment

Trophy rock.they lick them year around even in the snow.its nothin for me to go through four 20 pound trophy rocks in a year in one site

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                No you don't have to put a minersl block in the ground..I been using trophy rock for over 10 years.u lay it right on the ground.

Comment

Second the vote for the plain old mineral block from Tractor Supply. Lasts for months.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad