Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does everybody think about Antler Restrictions? I personnally do not like the idea for many reasons. I just do not think i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everybody think about Antler Restrictions? I personnally do not like the idea for many reasons. I just do not think i

What does everybody think about Antler Restrictions? I personnally do not like the idea for many reasons. I just do not think it is a good for game commissions such as DNR to impose stuff like that.

In general, I believe that antler restrictions are good for the herd. We (Michigan) have had a restriction of 4 pts on one side on one of the two bucks that you are allowed to harvest. Personally, I think that I have seen more and better bucks in the years since they instituted the rule. I have personally held this type of rule for my property for years, but I think that the DNR having forced others to a restriction has helped and is a good thing.

Comment

We've got a 3pt. rule on all deer, and a 4pt rule in "trophy" area's. The problem with that here is that if you are under 16 then you are allowed to take ANY horned deer.
      I have noticed "bigger" deer since they started but they are more "edgy".

Comment

My point is why shoul the government care about trophy hunting, why impose those kind of rules. It should be up to the hunters if they want to QDM. Not everyone hast he time to trophy hunt and tend to shoot a deer and get out. We call them weekend warriors here. I let smaller bucks pass, but why should I tell Joe/Jane Blow who hunts on public land 1 day a year hoping to get a deer for food and the only deer he or she would see was a fork. They obviously aren't in it for the trophy aspect. To them a fork may be a trophy, like food for their kids. Me I am all for trophy hunting, but I think it should be left up to us, we have enough regs, especially here in WI. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

I think it is well worth it to have antler restrictions, otherwise you would hardly ever see a deer over 2 years old. Here in Ga you can take two bucks per season and of the two the second one has to have 4 points on one side or more. That is why Ga has the highest B&C and P&Y scores in the SouthEast. You will have better quality bucks a healthier deer herd and much better hunting over all.

Comment

It is a tough call from the stance that you proposed, as I grew up almost solely meat hunting. In retrospect, however, I think that antler restrictions are probably not a bad idea, as mentioned above by others... and I think in response to meat hunters needs, they may be well to have antler restrictions, with draw tags for any size bucks and does. Trophy hunters are not going to apply for doe tags or tags that allow you to shoot smaller bucks. Depredation hunter programs are also another aspect to look at- getting on a list with the fish and game to asist in population controll areas is a great way for meat hunters to satisfy the dinner table. This also manages for a higher percentage of "trophy status" bucks for the head hunters- who spend a lot of money (with the state and locally) to hunt big deer.

Comment

hunt camp i side with you . the dnr shouldnt be micro managing the herds for trophy bucks .

Comment

In the 7 or so years PA has had antler restrictions we've seen both the number of bucks and the number of trophy bucks increase dramatically. Sure, we see fewer deer because the doe kill is higher, but it's a good trade off in my opinion. As far as the DNR micro-managing the herd?...I don't think they are. They are managing the herd and the trophy bucks are a good byproduct of it. All the antler restriction do is protect one and a half year old bucks. by 2.5 yrs they're legal.

Comment

to me it all depends on if the area can handle the restrictions. because if u cant take some cull bucks because of the antler restriction that could be a bad thing. but we also need to look at if we want to shoot bigger bucks.

Comment

Many times I have seen another hunter pass on a doe and shoot a small buck. The doe was legal and also better eating go figure. Huntcamp your argument doesn't hold water. At least not in any state that allows the taking of antlerless deer. Want meat shoot a doe. I have hunted on the same farm near Kirksville MO since 1980. Since antler restrictions took effect the hunting has changed dramatically for the better. Hunters are allowed as many antlerless tags as you wish to buy at $7.00 each. Last fall I saw 5 legal bucks on the first day of MO hunting season.
                    Punch my username, scroll down on the bottom right and click on photos, then go to page 8. Click on the pics and blow them up. Those 2 bucks and several doe was shot on opening day. Third year in a row for me to take a nice buck from the same stand. We would have done better if SOME people could shoot like Clay Cooper or Kristyn Brady. Deer are all over the place and the buck to doe ratio is much better.

Comment

On the down side a huge 3 x 3 would be illegal but they are rare. It takes about 2 years for the restrictions to really show a difference. Heck I've been trying to get Kansas to restrict antler points.

Comment

Saw 2 6pt at at WI Deer &Tukey show that scored near 150. One 5 pt scored near 140. Nice illegal deer in some states. Shoot does great I am not talking about us hardcore hunters, I am talking about the hunters that hunt one day a year. They do not have the time to wait for the next one to walk by. The people who cannot get away from their families for more than a morning or evening. Hunting should not be an elitist activety. Just lose more from our ranks. In CWD zones antlerless tags are free and you can get as many as you want. Great you are in a great area. Probably many hours of scouting. Not evertyone has the time or place they can do that. I am lucky I own some land and can pick and choose. DNR should not micro-manage as cooner brought up. They see how much money can be had, by having those monsters out there. I have nop problem having anyone shot whatever is legal, just for food. Some people consider forks to be trophies. Actually I believe the same age does or bucks pretty much taste similar. Shoot a 5 year old doe and she can be pretty gamey.

Comment

By the way great for Georgia, but we are #3 in the nation without AR. And for those that can shoot 2 bucks. Is it 1 for gun and one for archery? Or is it 2 for each? If 2 for each I have an idea of how to keep more bucks around, only shoot 1.

Comment

Antler point restrictions are a good management tool to regulate the deer herd numbers and thereby the overall health. Most restictions are intended to maintain a healthy mature buck-to-doe ratio.

Let the game managers do their job and take a doe if you are looking for meat. Attend the game commission public meetings and learn why they are doing what they are doing and voice your opinion. That's how things are understood or changed.

Most hunters want to shoot trophy bucks. I'd be damn ashamed to drag some forkie back to camp if I were you.

Comment

i do not think it is a good ideal. it can be a pro or con thing thought the upside older and mature bucks the down side less dear killed. if i see a spike im going to shot it .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X