Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does everyone tinker with their deer stands or areas in which they hunt the most? I know i all ways say I should do th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does everyone tinker with their deer stands or areas in which they hunt the most? I know i all ways say I should do th

How much does everyone tinker with their deer stands or areas in which they hunt the most? I know i all ways say I should do this and do that, but I always find less is more.

I might go by in August and cut shooting lanes. After that I stay away until the day I hunt there. Just slip in and climb a good preselected tree with my Summit Goliath climbing stand and spend the day. Experience shows that usually see the most deer first time then fewer each time after that. Deer definitely wise up to a stand fast.

Comment

Yeah, I try to think about what I would like to change based on my scouting during late season and in the winter and then make some moves in early August. Mainly just trimming up lanes, and adding at least one more stand. Then, like Del, I try to stay out of there the best that I can, except for the occasional check of the trail cams.

Comment

I have my stand up about a month before I hunt the area. I get in early and stay until after dark. I try to keep the area as quiet and natural as possible with minimal intrusion.

Comment

Most of my stands are permanent and are on my own property. I keep the lanes clear and usually start clearing at the end of July. I do have a climbing stand that I use on occasion and have been successful with it, but I prefer the permanent ones. I've had great luck using the stands over and over, but do try to limit the amount that each one is used. I never hunt from a stand two days in a row and won't let others use that stand either. DEL said something that caught my eye and made me think a bit. I think that sometimes deer get very accustom to a permanent stand to the point that they will start to ignore it. I've never tried this stunt but I have a bowhunter friend that has been very successful with his stands by putting dummies in the seat and leaving them there for pretty long periods of time and then when he gets in to hunt he's just like part of the landscape.

Comment

I generraly try to make sure I've got clear lanes around the permanent stands. I use a climber more than anything else so I'll try to pick a few spots in late July/early August to go set up and clear lanes there. I try to stay off the property for a good month before the season opens. Just try to find a few spots that show movement or other sign to hunt early season.

Comment

I "set it, trim it, forget it" till season starts.
              Your hunting in their "house" they'll "know" if the "decore" is different.

Comment

You do your scouting right when the season ends looking for sheds and trails. Try to clean up your shooting lanes that you noticed durring the previous season and then the only time you need to disturb it is right before season make sure its still safe and go in with scent control and spray agin with scent control on your way out

Comment

I like to have all my stands thought out and put up (with the exception of a climber) a month or two in advance and cut my shooting lanes that way I can leave them alone and get out of the deers' way until the season begins. I don't move any stands unless it's absolutely necessary and I usually wait until gun season when everything is thrown out of whack anyway because of the pressure.

Comment

Judging by the responses here I may be putting my stands up a little late. I usually stay out most of the summer after I find my stand sites and then I don't put up my stands until 2-3 weeks before the season starts. Maybe I am going about it all wrong?

Comment

Depending on what type of stand your referring to, as long as I spray my climbing tree stand down with scent killer, I may just lug it in to a previously scouted the morning I plan on hunting. Of course I would already have scouted this area and cut the appropriate shooting lanes in the summer time, but I do agree less is better when it comes down to stomping around in your soon-to-be deer hunting area

Comment

I think you shouldnt tinker with anything besides basically what you sit on/stand on. the wood ( if your tree stand is wood) will end up getting a more woodsy look to it and blend in.

Comment

I have it up before my hunt!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad