Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like to find a good gun that is not to hard on the bank but can last me. I'd like to use it on whitetail, hog, and maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I suggests Remington 700 as well!!!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    Remington 700 in .270. That caliber will be able to take all the animals you stated.

Leave a comment:

• 2Poppa
    replied
    Go to your local pawn shop and check out their rifles,especially with today's economy.
    Don't pay the asking price, get 'em to come down!

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    Remington 700

Leave a comment:

• Huntandtrap09
    replied
    I would most definatly agree with the remington 700 in '06. Or possibly a remington 710 in .270?

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    i would go with a remington 700 adl 30-06 you can get one at a gun show for about $300-$400.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Best gun for the dollar would be a Savage bolt gun. depending on how close you get to the action in hog hunting you might want something with a little faster follow up. one of the new Marlins in 308 or 338 Marlin would be a good choice for fast follow ups and shots out to 200-250. I have a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 which is overkill on most anything and fairly short range 150-200 yards max (and yes I know buff hunters shot them a lot farther but I don't shoot animals the size of Hondas )

Just my $.02

Leave a comment:

• cjmurdoch
    replied
    Remington Model 700 30.06, hands down. Can be picked up for around $450 new, and with a decent scope, you'll be set for life.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    If you want a rifle to use as a tool get a Savage for 550 or a Marlin at 330. I'm partial to 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• beagleboy
    replied
    You can get a Stevens Model 200 for around $400. It may not be a pretty rifle, but it is made by Savage Arms and is noted for out-of-the-box accuracy. The Model 200 is avalible in several long action cartridges, including 25-06 and 30-06.

Check out the website: http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Get ya a 30-06 bolt gun that feels good to you and remember they all shoot pretty much MOA now days out of the box. From Jacks to Mule Deer 130’s work fantastic and Elk, a good Nosler 180 will do the trick!

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Look at the Marlin HL7, Savage 116 (Stainless) and the Tikka T3

Leave a comment:

• koeka
    replied
    30.06 will bring down any game animal in North America and will shoot (sited at 100 yrds) flat with a 1" drop at 150 yrds and 3" at 200 yrds.

Some will say the 300 win mag, which is an awesome weapon and shoots much flatter then the 30.06. However, I feel its bit overkill and the round can really damage the meat of the average sized deer and definitley will obliterate a hog.

If I were taking 300 yrd shots or more i.e. mid-west States and rocky mountain areas, 300 win mag would suit me better there. F & S, posted an article I believe in the Dec issue where one of their writers brought his 30.06 to Africa and did very well there, harvesting rather large game.

It all depends on the ammo at that point, which with this caliber there are more available in many varieties and in more places. For deer I use a 150 grain round, Elk 180 grain, I've not hunted for hog, but a 120 grain round would do the trick just fine.

I picked up Marlin's newer Model XL-7 (30.06) under $350. It's lightweight due to the synthetic stock which allows me to hold it true on long distant shots.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad