Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the best place to put food plots

Where is the best place to put food plots

I like to put mine where I know I can hunt over them. If it is a wooded area I look for an opening that I can get to with a 4-wheeler. If its out in the open I choose areas where vegetation isn't the best for forage already and tear it up. Here is a link to some more ideas if they will help you. http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/hunting/whitetails/food-plots

Comment

my dad put on about 5 yards from his stand so he can see them coming and shoot them in there. He put his next to an old path in the woods and the first year it was ok and teh second year deer would bed about 2 feet away in some tall grass

Comment

put it on rightaway suround by woods

Comment

probably a secluded field in the woods. or a logging road

Comment

I have been planting them for about 5 years, it's just tough in this area with so many crops in the area. Key is finding something you can offer them that they can't get in the area. Then find that travel corridor and you can actually set up your plot so they travel right where you want them too.

If you are looking on a larger scale 10-20 acres, the choices are limitless. It will take some research on your part as to what will work best in your area, ph levels, amount of rain annually, etc....

I think it's worth the effort, plus you provide a food source for them during the rough winters (again depending on where you are).

Comment

Unless you have access to a subsoiler avoid logging decks unless that is the only option you have. These areas are so compacted from heavy equipment that adequate tillage is all but impossible. Also, avoid droughty hill tops. Bottom land areas are best as these areas will hold moisture even during dry times. If the area is wooded make sure that you orient the plots in and east-west direction for maximum sun light exposure. 6-8 hours of direct light exposure are necessary per day for best growth with most forages. Minimum plot size considered should be 1/4 acre. Till as deeply as possible, 6-8 inches or deeper is ideal. Once tilling is complete soil test. Your local Cooperative Extension Office can help you with soil testing and recommending forage varieties. Follow the soil test recommendations. Skimping on lime and fertilizer, especially lime will result in poor results! Check out this link to UT Extension for a great food plot publication. Good luck!

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/pbfiles/PB1743.pdf

Comment

probly like a meadow an opening in the woods

Comment

Put it on the outskirts of the woods and close enough for you to make a shot out of your tree stand or blind...

Comment

It is best if you can find a small opening in the woods where deer will feel safe, but the opening has to be big enough so that sunlight will get in and the stuff can grow.

Comment

It's easier to attract deer if you put your food plots some place the deer want to go anyway...The closer to bedding or feeding areas or travel routes you can get without disturbing them, the better!!!

Comment

http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/hunting/whitetails/food-plots

Comment

http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/hunting/whitetails/food-plots

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
                            by 99explorer
                            Another thing.
                            It is possible if not likely, that SCOTUS would refuse to hear the appeal.
                            It take four justices to grant the appeal, and they
                            Today, 01:15 PM
                          • Voter Fraud
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                            11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                          • Reply to Voter Fraud
                            by 99explorer
                            Wouldn't it be nice if SCOTUS would just take Trump's word for it that massive fraud took place, and not require all that nitty gritty evidence that courts...
                            Today, 01:08 PM
                          • Reply to Voter Fraud
                            by crm3006
                            From #1 Bubba: "One step closer to SCOTUS.....not that it will make any difference."

I would have to respectfully disagree with...
                            Today, 12:49 PM
                          • Reply to Is ammo shortage affecting your hunting season?
                            by Sarge01
                            I have plenty of primers, powder and bullets for my 300WSM and my 308. The only problem is I am running short of small rifle primers for my new toy...
                            Today, 12:37 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X