Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On our farm we have several woods to hunt in. I have 1 of the woods to myself. My brother hunts in another woods 800 yards awa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On our farm we have several woods to hunt in. I have 1 of the woods to myself. My brother hunts in another woods 800 yards awa

On our farm we have several woods to hunt in. I have 1 of the woods to myself. My brother hunts in another woods 800 yards away. The woods is about 150 yards long and 50 yards wide. There is a road running next to the long side of it. On the other 3 sides we have our crops planted Corn and alfalfa. There is logging trails through it and a clearing in the lower corner. It has heavy cover and good vegitation. The woods is full of deer tracks. Last year there was a monster 12 pointer in it probebly a 180 inches. How should i hunt my woods for archery, rifle, and muzzleloader? (The deer are hunted very hard where we live.)

Wow, that is a loaded question. I'm not sure where to even start. What state?

Comment

Sounds as if you will always be hunting within 50 yards of the road in that one wood lot. My first guess instinct would that if there is an inside corner formed from one of the fields, set up on that. Otherwise from your questions I would think regardless of weapon you chose, you should be able to be able to intercept anything that is sneaking through the woods since it is only 50 yards wide

Comment

i would watch from a distance, to see where he is most of the time, chances are he moves from one woods to another. Find and easy unevasive way in, hard in small woods in the middle of an opening. I hunt similar spots and find it best to hunt the evenings when they are bedded in the woods and just set up on the woods edge on a runway. Good luck If you put a stand up, put it up as early as you can. i usually hunt those kind of spots from the ground, so I can make small adjustments.

Comment

Sounds promising. You have a lot of scouting and sneaking around to do.

Comment

Don't hunt the main trails. Find the little trails parallel to the main trails. That's where the smart bucks travel, and is where you should hunt pre- and mid-rut. Also, find the thickest nastiest place. Between there and where the does go in the evenings is where you should hang your stand for post-rut and late season. But don't wait til then. Have the stand already in and hunt it a few times all year. This is assuming you will be hunting in trees. If not, good. Just be there.

Comment

mabe set up some game cameras around that area. Keep notes what trails they are using, what time of day, wheather conditions. After awhile you should be able to figure out, example, like when its cloudy and in the afternoon they like using this trail. Watch from a distance to what location they are coming out to feed, again keep track of the time and weather. This does take some of your time but improves your chances to harvest the big one.

Comment

rifle u dont want to risk losin that kind of a buck

Comment

true 007. but wouldn't you have a better chance of shooting it if you hunted it in all of the different seasons? rifle, muzzleloader, and bow. in nebraska there's 3 different time periods for that. just hunt through the whole season with the different weapons of mass destruction.

Comment

those woods are tailor made for a good old fashioned deer drive...get your brother or other family members to push those woods, while you take a stand on the down-wind side...also a treestand sounds like a good idea...good luck!

Comment

scout from a distance w binocs or a spotting scope. I wouldn't drive these woods till after you've given it a shot stand hunting or stillhunting. Towards the end of the season though, push it.

Comment

Scout and set up some trail cam!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad