Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any crossbow hunters out there? they just made it leagel to use them during bow season here in MI what are your thoughts on them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any crossbow hunters out there? they just made it leagel to use them during bow season here in MI what are your thoughts on them

any crossbow hunters out there? they just made it leagel to use them during bow season here in MI what are your thoughts on them i am torn between saying that its cheating and being like "man i could shoot a hunderd yards with one of those" what are your thoughts?

They don't really offer any downrange performance benefit over compounds. The benefit is mechanical hold of your draw, easy aim, etc. I don't know why able bodied archers would use these, but that's just me. To each his own.

Comment

If you don't have the time to practice with your bow, a crossbow is a good alternative. I have one, they don't have any added range, possibly even less range than a compound. I dont see hunting with one of them as "cheating" anymore than hunting with a rifle as opposed to a muzzleloader..

Comment

i know in ct most hunters using compound/long bows wouldnt like sharing their season with crossbows. it does give a huge advantage to the hunter. they can let off a shot faster with less movments that can scare the deer and can hold a position much longer

Comment

My state you must have a physical handicap a letter from your doctor stating so and the final approval from game commision to use one. If it's physically neccessary to use one then go for it.

Comment

I am not a crossbow user and will never be unless i cannot pull my bow back. But if the ability to use a crossbow gets more hunters/kids in the woods it is a good idea.

Comment

The only advantage is not having to sneak in your draw. Crossbows don't have any sort of range/velocity/energy advantage over compounds. In most cases, they are disadvantaged in a ballistic sense. Same velocity plus smaller arrow equals less energy. There is no way you should be shooting any big game with a crossbow at 100 yards. The limit is more like 30. Only with a fast compound would I consider attempting 40-50 yard shots.

Comment

I'm a crossbow/long bow/recurve/compound bow hunter.
                1)They are NOT as "easy" to shoot as some people think.
                2)They DO require parctice.
                3)They do Not have a greater advantage than any other bow, period.
                4)You DO have to move just as much to shoot one as any other bow.
                5)You can NOT "hold" longer with a crossbow, they weigh as much as some "modern" rifles.
                6)You can NOT get a faster shot with one.
                Lastly. If you've NEVER shot one. Try it you mihgt like it. A bow is a bow NO matter how it's held/shot
                and Bow season is for Bow hunters.

and

Comment

would you like to finish, Big O? i guess big o makes some sense but it's real archery in my opinion. kinda cheating from eyes. but everyone does their own thing and that's mine.

Comment

I think that if it gets more people into the sport that otherwise wouldn't go (elderly, handicapped) that it is a positive. I have hunted MI my entire life and I think that the use of crossbows is fine if you want to go that route. I personally am not going to, but my father, who has stopped bow hunting the last few years, may very well get back out there which is very exciting for me.
                    100yd shot is very unrealistic.

Comment

The only form of cheating hunters can do is by breaking the law, be it poaching, or in states where illegal baiting and things like that. Using an approved weapon in a state where it is legal is not cheating, but just exercising that hunters right to do something differently then what other people are doing.

By these hunters using a crossbow, it does not make them any less of a hunter either. I am not sure why everyone is so afraid of crossbows.

I hunt in VA, and crossbows are now allowed to be used by anyone, and there are not hundreds of more people in the woods. To everyone worried about the increase of hunters in your spot, get off your high horse and realize that while crossbows might not benifit you at all, overall it benifits the sport by helping to introduce new hunters, and enable older hunters who might not qualify as handicapped be able to get back in the woods.

Comment

To each his own. If you think it is too easy, then don't do it. If you think it is fun, then have fun. You could say the same about the advantages that compound bows brought to the table over traditional equipment. I bow hunt, and I don't think a crossbow provides too much of an advantage.

Comment

I've killed a mature buck at 5 yards on the ground with a crossbow. No blind. Just plain old (old) Mossy Oak and some camo paint.

Are people that make 20-30-40 yard shots from trees with 1000 dollar compound setups and 5 pins real archers and better hunters, while I'm a cheater?

Comment

I've never seen any problem with crossbow as hunting tools and I don't see an advantage over a compound. The thing that I've never liked is letting one down. I mentioned this before in another posting but I'll repeat it here. A gentleman brought his crossbow into my store on day and asked me to mount a scope on it. The scope that he brought in was a model that had 4 fixed dots in it. After mounting I tried some shooting.With field points I simply could not believe the groups. Properly set-up I think that the accuracy potential is immense. I'll still stick with the old Matthews.

Comment

Agreed with MB915 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by rock rat
                                Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                                Today, 10:59 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by dewman
                                Had a big long post typed half dozen times but I just won't discuss losing my dogs. Doubt I ever will. I know what you're feeling, I am sorry for your...
                                Today, 10:55 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by jhjimbo
                                So sorry for your loss....
                                Today, 10:40 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X