Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a lot of people have been saying a 12 guage is over kill for a deer and suggesting i buy a 20 instead. what do you think? im onl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a lot of people have been saying a 12 guage is over kill for a deer and suggesting i buy a 20 instead. what do you think? im onl

a lot of people have been saying a 12 guage is over kill for a deer and suggesting i buy a 20 instead. what do you think? im only 15 but i can shoot my dads 12 fine so its just whether or not it is over kill

12ga is not over-kill. Shoot your dads gun that you like and ignore the others. It's what you're comfortable with that counts. Good luck.

Comment

thanks thats what i was thinking of buying sounds weird though having two of the same make and model because we dont own that many guns this will make five or 6ish because my dads a cop so one is technically the town/state's gun. so the 12 guage wont ruin any of the meat? i am accurate so i can put the shot where i want it but i just wanted to make sure

Comment

12 ga is not over kill but the main thing is don't pay attention to people because alot of them just repeat what they have heard from unreliable sources...so if you want go with the 12, but if need be, get a 20.

Comment

12 ga. is FINE for deer. I'm gettin' older so I went to the 20ga. just because it's lighter than my 12ga.
          I've killed LOTS of deer with both so as said shoot what YOU like.

Comment

12 gauge is not an overkill, heck if hunt with a shot gun I would probably be shooting a 10 gauge!!! I still don't think that my 7 mag is big enough for whitetails!!! Not sure why I beleive that LOL. MORE POWER I GUESS!! LOL

Comment

I'm the guy out there that uses a a lot of the smaller calibers and gauges for hunting and believe that shot placement is the key to success on any hunt. I don't believe that you could go wrong with either a 12 or a 20. IF you hunt a lot of waterfowl I would go with the 12 simply because it handles steel better. I don't use buckshot or hunt with people who use buckshot on deer and know from personal experience that both the 12 or 20 are effective with rifled slugs on deer. One of the guys that shoot at my range can make groups with a 20 at 100 yards that will amaze you. He has a low power scope on his 870 and he casts his own Foster style slugs.

Comment

the thing to remember is that it is not hard to kill a deer as long as you are using remotely the right stuff, 20 guage is OK. You don't need double-ot buckshot either, if using buckshot. But a 12 ga. is not "overkill".

Comment

I've shot about 30-40 deer in Fla, Al and GA with a 12 guage using buckshot and slugs. The 20 is fine with slugs but with buckshot it is a major handicap. If shots are more than 60 yds use slugs in either gun period. If you can handle a 12 that is the way to go IMO.

Comment

I'll take the 12 also, certainly not overkill.

Comment

I shoot a 12 because that is what I have, but if I were going to buy a "Slug Gun" it would be a 20. It is lighter, handier, lower recoiling and just as effective on the business end. If you want an all around shotgun you can't go wrong with a 12, but for a dedicated slug gun I think a 20 is the way to go.

Comment

I don't know who told you that but the 12 gauge is just fine and totally ethical.

Comment

I would certainly take the 12 over the 20 for deer, 12 is no overkill, just like kyle i would even choose a 10 over a 12

Comment

Not overkill, not even close. I would get the 12ga. that way you can grow into it. I started with a 20ga. at 14, killed deer with it, but I moved up to a 12 within a couple years. If this is going to be a strictly deer gun, I like the H&R single shot for a slug. Put a 3x9 on it, and you have a deer killing machine.

Comment

I have heard of a 410 killing dear. But 12ga. or even 10ga. is not over kill. Overkill would be a 300 weatherby at 50 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by crm3006
                                From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                                Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                                Today, 04:20 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by FirstBubba
                                Ya know bhr!
                                I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                                Today, 03:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X