Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wanting picking up a .30-30 at the end of this season, I keep being told that its a 100 yard gun and it shouldn't be pushed further than than. My distance varies by who I hunt with, with my uncle it's wooded with 50 yard shots but could open up t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A .30-30 will do the job well out to over 250 yards if you can hit the target. I've come to find that this old round has become very underrated. I regularly take shots out to 150 yards with no problems.

Comment

you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Clay Cooper View Post
        I've witnessed 30-30 kills at 400 with over the counter 150's out in Arizona and New Mexico on Mule Deer. But if your going to buy a 30-30, why not a 308 or better yet a 30-06. My preference would be a 25-06.......
        I've considered it but it really comes down to cost, weight and recoil. I am by no means recoil sensitive but with the amount of practice I'll be doing low recoil will be a plus, same goes for the cost of shooting it since I don't reload.

Comment

My 45-70 does 200 so idk y not

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad