Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wanting picking up a .30-30 at the end of this season, I keep being told that its a 100 yard gun and it shouldn't be pushed further than than. My distance varies by who I hunt with, with my uncle it's wooded with 50 yard shots but could open up t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm wanting picking up a .30-30 at the end of this season, I keep being told that its a 100 yard gun and it shouldn't be pushed further than than. My distance varies by who I hunt with, with my uncle it's wooded with 50 yard shots but could open up t

I'm wanting picking up a .30-30 at the end of this season, I keep being told that its a 100 yard gun and it shouldn't be pushed further than than. My distance varies by who I hunt with, with my uncle it's wooded with 50 yard shots but could open up to fields presenting 150 yard shots and with my great uncle it's usually 80 yards maximum (he uses a marlin .30-30). What is the consensus here? With modern ammunition would you hesitate to take a 150 yard shot with a .30-30 if you felt comfortable with the shot?

yes especially with something like a 140 or 160 GR leverevolution round by hornady. I have shot them out of my .45/70 and really like the round.

Comment

A 30-30 using Hornady Leverevolution ammo should be good to 150 or 175yds for whitetail. A Winchester with a peep sight or a Marlin with a scope would work good. See my Winchester with a Redfield peep in my photo's.

Comment

150gr Winchester super X in .30-30 has a drop of about 2.28" according to manufacturer spec and still has speeds greater than muzzle velocity of most 12gauge slugs.

Marlin 336C are fun to shoot. Enjoy yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          150gr Winchester super X in .30-30 has a drop of about 2.28" according to manufacturer spec and still has speeds greater than muzzle velocity of most 12gauge slugs.

That's what my great uncle uses actually, it's what he's primarily used since he got that marlin and never had an issue with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            A 30-30 using Hornady Leverevolution ammo should be good to 150 or 175yds for whitetail. A Winchester with a peep sight or a Marlin with a scope would work good. See my Winchester with a Redfield peep in my photo's.
            My neighbor has 2 pre-1964 winchester 94s in .30-30 that I've been eyeing. Too bad he won't part with them

Comment

The gun will surely kill at 150 yards, but whether or not you can hit accurately at 150 yards is a different matter. If you practice at 150 and feel 100% confident that you can hit the kill zone at 150, then have at it.

Comment

"SOITANLY!"
                I killed a deer at 200 yards with a .30-30!
                IF....you can hit your target, the .30-30 Win is quite capable of making 200 yard kills!
                The deer I shot at 200 yards was facing me.
                The bullet entered his right shoulder and exited breaking the last rib on the left side. Reentered the left hip. When we skinned him, the bullet was just under the skin on his left buttock.
                So yeah! Shot through and through from stem to stern at 200 yards with a .30-30 Win!
                I was shooting a scoped Marlin 336 RC.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I have Two 30/30s 1~Marlin M~30 and a Savage M~170C Pump,With Hornady,s Flex Tip Lever Ammo,It will do in any White tail out to 200Yd!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

I figured, it's probably the most popular lever gun in .30-30. I had one in .35 Remington that was a ton of fun to shoot. I moved on to faster rounds but there's nothing like leaving a bigger hole with a heavy bullet

Comment

For sure. The rifle has less than 2.5" drop from a 100 yard zero at that range with a 150g bullet and enough power to penetrate at that range. I consider that about the range limit of the 30-30 as its energy drops real fast past that range. It would kill a deer at 200 but between the loss of energy and the reliability of most iron sights at that range, you are beginning to push the limit. Most whitetails are taken inside of 100 yards and that is why the easy toting 30-30 is so great for them. If you planning on seeing lots of deer in the 150-200 yard range I'd choose a different chambering though.

Comment

I would not be uncomfortable with taking a 150 yd. shot. If and only if I had sufficient practice with an accurate 30-30 at that range. Emphasize "practice".

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                          I would not be uncomfortable with taking a 150 yd. shot. If and only if I had sufficient practice with an accurate 30-30 at that range. Emphasize "practice".
                          sure the 30-30 has enough power for 150 yds shot but does it have the accuracy to place a shot in the heart-lung area on a whitetail ? Most lever actions do not shoot tight little groups at 100 yds let alone 150 or 200 yds. If you feel your gun can put one in the boiler room then go fo it.

Comment

I think you'd be fine at 150. 200 might be pushing it...

Comment

I've witnessed 30-30 kills at 400 with over the counter 150's out in Arizona and New Mexico on Mule Deer. But if your going to buy a 30-30, why not a 308 or better yet a 30-06. My preference would be a 25-06.......

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad