Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I reciently recieved a Mossberg 500 super bantam, in 20 gauge. Is it practical or ethical to attempt hunting coyotes with it? If

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I reciently recieved a Mossberg 500 super bantam, in 20 gauge. Is it practical or ethical to attempt hunting coyotes with it? If

I reciently recieved a Mossberg 500 super bantam, in 20 gauge. Is it practical or ethical to attempt hunting coyotes with it? If so what loads should I use?

Sure- got to get them in close, but it will get the job done. Buck shot will tear them up, or a #4 shot or bigger will work.

Comment

sure you can use it as long as you limit your shots to around 40 yards with it.
      i would suggest patterning your gun before hunting with it to be sure how it will preform for you, you may get a bit more or less distance than that .
      but you can use #3 buck shot,or shot shells loaded with #2 or #3 size shot .
      or if you like a slug as well you will get longer yardage with a slug but you need to spend a bit of time at the range first to know where your gun hits ..
      just so you know a 20 gage #3 buck shot has 20 pellets in it and you would want around half of them to stay in the kill zone of a coyote any less than that and your starting to shoot to far.

Comment

Yep, both these guys are right. I'd stick with either # 4's or slugs, depending what your doing with them.

Comment

I aree with cooner

Comment

sorry i meant agree.

Comment

Yep yep yep

Comment

I've shot many with 4 buck... limit your shots to 40 yards or less.

Comment

3 ot buck

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad