Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the max distance you will take a deer with a shotgun load with buckshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the max distance you will take a deer with a shotgun load with buckshot?

what is the max distance you will take a deer with a shotgun load with buckshot?

30 yards- pretty much bow range. Once you get beyond that, I feel like the pattern is pretty open which may lead to a non-lethal hit. Thats just me though, I really don't like buckshot except in a thick area where its going to be a close shot anyway.

Comment

I prefer slugs over buckshot any day just don't like buckshot and if I do #4 is my pick

Comment

the reason i ask this question is because i feel most people are not takeing there gun to it full potential we shoot deer in virginia at 100 yards with buckshot i am shooting a 3 1/2 inch and have knocked a deer off its feet at 137 yards with double 00 buckshot and i know we measured it off and did mention the deer was on a full out run i aimed about 2 foot over its head and about 8 foot infront of its nose and out of 18 pellets we found 11 in the deer so get out in the field run diffrent chokes and diffrent brand of sheels and shot some distance i think you will be suprised and the shot pattern.and as for shooting that distance you all may think i am full of it but its only lead let it fly

Comment

gman3186

I asked a similar question a while ago. Here is a link: www.fieldandstream.com/answers/hunting/whitetails/what-use-when-hunting-whitetail-deer/i-have-read-about-people-useing-extr

But for me 40 yards.

Comment

40 yards and no more...

Comment

Don't even bother. Just use a slug. There is no good reason to hunt deer with buckshot. Buckshot is the worst name for the stuff. Save it for burglars and coyotes.

Comment

I have seen so many deer wounded with buckshot that I feel ill just talking about it! I've used smaller calibers than I should use for deer before and have been very successful, but even with the small caliber rifles I could place my bullet precisely. With buckshot you can only spray the area and pray one pellet will find its way to a vital area. In my circle of hunting friends, buckshot is out! .

Comment

Well said libertyfirst.

Comment

I don't hunt with it, but as stated above 30 yds is as far as i'd go.

Comment

I've already posted my answer to this question but my brother reminded me of a deer that we found many years ago in a huge swamp by our stomping grounds. Actually I've tried to put this out of my mind but maybe it bears repeating here. The animal that we found was a small antler buck that was still alive but barely. The right rear quarter was oozing pus and the infection was ,to my mind, obvious. There was a total of 8 individual holes in this animals ass end and none had gotten through to the vitals.My father finished this poor deer and my brother and I dug out one of the offending bullets. To no ones surprise, it wasn't a bullet but a lead ball of approximately .25 dia. The animal had to be fairly close to put in 8 pellets and still the miserable results. The hunter has to take the blame for shooting at the tail end of a deer but if it's the way that you choose to hunt I dare say that a 180 gr. 30-06 or a powerful rifle of this type would have properly anchored this animal and avoided the suffering. Shooting buckshot at a deer is not humane.

Comment

I have heard 40 yards at the most but slugs are a better choice.

Comment

alot say use a rifle but were we are in viriginia we cant not use rifle and many say use slugs but were i hunt they run dogs and shooting a deer on the run with slug just is not going to happen buckshot is the only option

Comment

About 0 yards. I will never use buckshot for a deer because I think it is very un-ethical and in-humane.

Comment

I have not and will not use buckshot because I don't trust it to kill the deer , but mabe for drives at VERY close range...I'm sticking with slugs.It's aganst the law in NY any way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X