Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok so in the near future i am going on a hunting trip most likely to calardo to hunt for elk and muley my Q is i have two guns i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok so in the near future i am going on a hunting trip most likely to calardo to hunt for elk and muley my Q is i have two guns i

ok so in the near future i am going on a hunting trip most likely to calardo to hunt for elk and muley my Q is i have two guns i'am considering takeing my 50. TC omgea and my marlin 30-30 i can get 2inch gruops at 100-150yards with both will ethier work or is it time to head to the gun shop?

i would like to take the muzzloader because its what i am used to but if it isn't up to the job i don't want to take the wrong gun

Comment

Either is up to the job. Just limit your shots to under 200 yds, and practice extended ranges at the range. You may have to work (hunt) a little harder to get into range but that's what it's all about. Or you could try to borrow a .30-06. It'd be ideal for this hunt. Sounds like a great trip.

Comment

Either would work well for your trip to COLORADO. The muzzleloader might be a bit more of a challenge, just due to the single shot, not the range or effectiveness of the kill. I probably would roll with the 30-30, just because I'm partial to mine.

Comment

Your .50cal would work out fine. The .30-30 would give you a better chance for follow up shots though.
          Good luck and good hunting. What part of Colo. you headed to ?

Comment

Whats up with 2" group?

"MOP" is all it takes!

Comment

Eagle County, CO used to have lots of great public land hunting. Not sure if that is the case these days or not. Love to get back there.

Comment

Either way, Any time is a good time to head to the gun shop. Sounds like a good enough excuse to purchase a new firearm to me.

Comment

clay..2 inch groups because he wants the cleanest kill he can get. i'm a little finicky about shooting over 100 yards with a muzzleloader, but the new TC's are probably a little more advanced then the muzzleloaders i'm used to. i would say go for it. a 30-30 can easily do that. as for the .50 i would save your shots for less than 100 yards but that's just me. if you feel comfortable touching 100+ i would say go fot it.

Comment

To steve182: Yep, still good public access up there.

Comment

All of you who have killed elk, please raise your hand(s). The rest of you who haven't, refrain from giving numb-nut advice. that would be like me giving you advice on an elephant gun....

Comment

HAND RAISED(x4). And guided for 3 years in Colo.
                        Who else?

Comment

If you are buying a new rifle get a bolt action 270. I have a Tikka T3 and love it.

Comment

any reason to get a new gun is never a bad reason but if you want to take what you got i would take the 30-30

Comment

Agreed with steve182 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad