Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got back from a four day fishing trip from northern WI. The lake I fished at is in the middle of thousands and thousands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got back from a four day fishing trip from northern WI. The lake I fished at is in the middle of thousands and thousands

I just got back from a four day fishing trip from northern WI. The lake I fished at is in the middle of thousands and thousands acres of woods with no houses on the lake and the nearest town is about 15 miles away. I did really really well. Here is the thing I got on the lake about 5:15 each morning and about 6:00-6:30 I hear this noise to the north of me about 200 yards in the woods it sounded just like an elk. I have heared loons and other criters and know the difference between them. Two mornings my dad was with me and he agreed that this sound was no loon. This sounded just like a elk bugle that I hear on T.V. The state did release an herd of elk about 60 miles or so north east of this lake about 10 years ago. Would they started moving this far already? The thing is there has been no reports of an elk sighting around this area. I have heared loons hundreds of times and this was no loon. What I am confused about, to my knowledge elk dont bugle until fall right. What in the world could it be????

Bigfoot. Lucky you got out of there. LOL
    It very well have been an elk. Was it a bugle or a squeal sound? A bugle and three gutteral sounds afterward is unmistakable.

Comment

It had that high pitch with a little faint sound ending it. Would do it about three times in a row than about 5 mintues later would do it again. Went on about 20-30 mintues each morning.

Comment

Elk move farther faster than most people give them credit for.
        As for for the sound you heard elk "talk" just as much as deer do. It's just communication among their kind.
        People just notice it more in the fall is all.

Comment

The elk in Wisconsin have spread out actually by quite a bit and I'm assuming you were around the clam lake region.

Comment

Its kind of is but by the Birchwood area.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad