Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you surviving the cold? We are getting more below 0 cold Tues - Wed. Do you have a propane shortage in your area? Th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you surviving the cold? We are getting more below 0 cold Tues - Wed. Do you have a propane shortage in your area? Th

How are you surviving the cold? We are getting more below 0 cold Tues - Wed. Do you have a propane shortage in your area? The news said the price of propane has gone from $1.55 to over $4.50 because of the shortage. The deer are in groups of 6 or 8. If you were to put something out for them, what would be the best thing that they could digest?

We haven't had school all week because of the snow and below 0 and windchill of 15 to 20 below zero. The school personnel say it was too cold for young kids to stand out waiting for the school bus. The forecast is for the same the first couple of days next week. Some of the guys around here put the big round hay bales out for the deer to eat. They won't eat them unless they are real hungry but before they starve they will eat them. Some guys sprinkle some salt on them.

Comment

If you are making a snowman, remember the rule: no carrots below the neck!

Comment

2 years ago, we lost power to our area in the winter. It was out for 4 days. No power, no heat, no water, no light, no TV. I was pleasantly surprised how well we adapted. The camping gear was converted to survival gear. We had enough warning that we filled the camping jugs with water, and kept a 10 gal bucket of water to flush the loo. The inside temp stayed above freezing so we had liquid water. We cooked on the propane grill, read books by camping lantern and me and the Mrs snuggled under a heavy blanket for warmth. We probably could have made a week or two, before she finally left me for her sisters place. Probably would have taken the dog with her too.

Now lets think about how pioneer families had winters with little or no insulation, heat only from a fireplace (if that, dry wood may have been scarce), poor food, frozen water, no inside facilities and lets add to the equation how bad the winters are in the northern plains.

As I get older, I think about our collective ancestors more and more. And I ask the question? Are we squandering our legacy left to us by these giants? And the answer seems to be when I look at our current crop of celebrities: Justin Dribler and Kim Cardboard-asian. Maybe I just have cabin fever? Where did I leave that scotch again?

Comment

Been a cold and windy winter so far. Temps got into the 50s yesterday, melted a bunch of snow and even caused some flooding south of town. 13 degrees now with sustained winds of 40, makes for a nice and balmy -11 counting windchill, so all that water is now ice. Used the nice weather yesterday to get out to cut a load of wood to top off the woodshed, cuts the propane bill down considerably. Don't feed the deer here, they raid the haystacks on their own, saw 300 or so around a couple stacks on the way to work Friday. Stay warm everyone.

Comment

Putting out supplemental feeding does more harm than good. Countless studies confirm this. Supplemental feeding congregates deer into a confined area where they defecate on the food they are consuming and spreads disease very easily. It also makes them easy targets for predators as they soon learn where the deer will show up. Introducting high protein protein levels when the deer are not use to them can cause digestion problems. Sometimes deer starve to death when their stomachs are full. I know alfalfa can be eaten by deer and their stomachs simply cannot process this new food they just consumed.

Comment

The Temp here in C.Fl has its ups and downs 28*-80* almost every one has a Cold of some sorts and Propane is $14.00 Per 20# Can.The deer are fine they hit our winter ray plots like crazy NOW the Season is over...Lol

Comment

Pretty much non-stop brutal cold in MN. My son has missed three days of school with two more coming up Mon/Tues. At this rate they will be going well into June but it is better than having kids at the bus stop in -40/-50 windchills.
                My friend who heats with propane is looking at $800.00/month heating bills. Happy, happy, joy, joy!
                It has also made it a little tough to motivate for winter coyotes and the cabin fever is getting bad.
                RockySquirrel, save me some of that scotch will ya?

Comment

Freezing Cold Weather Plumbing Tip of the Day;

If it is real cold in single digits or below zero and your faucet hot water stops coming out.
                  Get a hand held hair dryer and run the heat up and down the hot water pipe. Leave the hot handle in the open position. Within five minutes the water will start running freely.

Comment

Yeah, I gotta prropane carburetor anf regulator for my van.Don't know what I'm gonna do with 'em now. Got so cclb that thr plastic tightener on the propane hose broke in half!

Comment

Bad news for one of my friends. His son was trying to thaw frozen pipes with a blow torch Friday evening and burned their house to the ground and they lost everything just getting out with their lives. The community has come together to gather them supplies and clothing, they have their Aunt's house to live in now which is a blessing. Tue and Wed next week the temp is supposed to be 0 with wind chills of 10 to 20 below each morning. Our kids will be going to school till the 4th of July.

Comment

Never too cold to coyote hunt. The colder it is, the more I see. Also keep the woodburner stoked for heat. I have noticed I can sneak into bow range of deer in my all white camouflage pretty easy. I guess I haven't skipped a beat considering the weather.

Comment

buckhunter while I would generally agree that colder is better, -40/-50 degree wind chills makes it more miserable than fun. High tomorrow is forecasted -10 with 15-20mph winds, ouch. Maybe if you could eat them but with a full freezer they are pretty safe from me. Have fun out there!

Comment

45 mile an hour winds here in Illinois, risen from about 8 mph this morning. attempted a coyote hunt this morning, great scenery, lots of deer, but no yotes. venison is in the freezer and the woodstove is burning. What really gets me is that the snow is keeping me out of lot of my hunting spots. oh well, thats winter!

Comment

This zero weather is par for the course here. The winter is only half done too.
                              There is a saying that "On Candlemas Day (Feb 2) you should have half your wood and half your hay."
                              I got plenty of wood. Gotta keep Grandma warm.
                              The deer are all bunched up and scrabbling for browse. Time to cut down some soft maple trees.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Speaking of the QAnon fool ...

And what magazine articles was I supposed to have plagiarized? Oh right ... the one about chasing elk on
                                Today, 04:40 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by crm3006
                                From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                                Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                                Today, 04:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X