Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1" scope tubes or 30mm? What is your flavor, chocolate or vanilla?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" scope tubes or 30mm? What is your flavor, chocolate or vanilla?

1" scope tubes or 30mm? What is your flavor, chocolate or vanilla?

Azza scientific/technical person, I am accustomed to the metric , therefore 30mm.

Mint chocolate chip.

Comment

I use only 1 inch. They serve me okay.

Comment

I have two 30mm scopes, a 2x7 VX-R on my bear rifle and a Bushnell 6500 1.25x8x32. Otherwise they are all 1". The illuminated reticle on the VX-R makes it worth the extra weight and bulk but the Bushnell is just a heavy beast (15.8oz). Nice and clear but not my favorite at all as it overbalances every rifle I have put it on except for its current home on an ERShaw with a laminated stock that is a heavy rifle to begin with. Nice and stable but not much fun to carry around.

Comment

The 30mmm tube gives you two good things: easier light transmission for the manufacturer (a good 1" tube might have as much) and more turret travel. Most of the 30mm scopes give you sufficient turret travel to allow you to crank up your holdover for 1000 yard shooting without having to install a 20 MOA inclined scope base.

They also give you weight and that can be a hindrance for hunting deer in timber. I use 1" tubes on most carry rifles and 30mm tubes on varmint and long range rifles where weight doesn't bother me.

Comment

1 inch. I did the 30MM RED DOT thing and when I wanted to swap change i to a scope and swap the 30mm to another, Opps, new mounts. And these were not WALLY WORLD cheap ones, but Ruger. My advice is pick a standard and stay with it. I picked 1 inch and when I tried to mix and match I ran into issues.

Comment

DakotaMan, your post brings up a question. How does a 30mm give better light transmission? I get that it is a bigger pipe but my understanding of the physics is that exit pupil is Obj. Diameter / Magnification. So my Bushnell would have 32/1.25=25.6mm exit pupil at the low end or 32/8=4mm at the high end. Since most people can typically only use between 7-5mm
              the 25.6 is nice in theory but not super meaningful in practice.
              I am not trying to start an argument at all just curious if I am missing something. I bought it because of the Rainguard coating but in retrospect wish I had gone with a VX-3 in 2x8x36. It doesn't fit in low rings not because of the objective but because the eye piece is so big due to the greater magnification range. Do you have to pair the 30mm tube with a bigger objective to realize the benefits?
              RockySquirrel, I hear you. I have a spendy pair of Ruger 30mm rings sitting in the parts box now.

Comment

Chuckles, I'm not a scope expert but my understanding is that the wider diameter gives manufacturers the ability to use larger lenses from objective back to the ocular lens. That is not saying that they all take advantage of that. As a matter of fact, I think most of them have the same size lenses as 1" tubes. Apparently it is also easier to obtain better resolution too. I can't say as I see better light transmission on any of my 30mm scopes than I get on my Leupold 3.5-10x50 with a 1" tube.

Comment

I have one 30mm and several 1" scopes. I prefer the 1" simply for the weight factor. I do notice a difference in light with the larger tube.

Comment

I have one 30mm scope. I think a good quality 1" scope gives you all the performance you need. A illuminated cross hair might be more useful for those that hunt the first minute of light or the last legal light. Varmint hunters could benefit more from the 30mm and or lighted scope.

Comment

i" for most of my uses. I have one 30 mm scope on a rifle I use just for target shooting. Due to weight considerations.

Comment

The erector tube lens makes the difference. For example, Burris Signature Select and higher end models use erector tube lenses that are larger than the Leupold 30mm scopes due to steel and brass construction vice larger thick walled aluminum assemblies in others. You can make lighter erector assemblies from aluminum or plastic, but they are thicker than brass or steel resulting in smaller diameter lenses. I vote for a quality 1" tube.

Make mine pecan praline, just one scoop please.

Comment

I have 2 Bushnell Elite 6500 sewer pipe scopes and like them very much. One thing nobody has mentioned is the 30 mm tube gives a good set of rings more surface area to grip. A good thing in a heavy recoiling rifle. I have the 2.5-16X on my 300 Roy and the 4.5-30X on a heavy barreled 22-250. My other rifles sport 1 inch scopes, mostly Leupold VXIII's.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad