Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a newspaper outdoor writer in New Jersey who writes weekly hunting and fishing reports. He continues to use the word “k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old 300- I Think shot means killed when it's stuffed... Atleast that's my take.

If I'm being all scientific I'll use harvested more. For example, talking about the states deer harvest reports. If I'm explaining a scenario about hunting, it's kill 10:1 over anything else.

Gary- I'm not exactly politically correct, I tend not to beat around the bush, and I don't often paint it rosie. I don't think that sidestepping is a healthy thing for our sport. I think it's to the same token of giving an inch and they'll take a mile. If you eliminate it from the press today, in 20 years people might just be flabbergasted by the use of it. JMO.

Comment

I don't follow the PETA thing but I remember years ago the criticism of 'harvesting' and conservation was that hunters perpetuated the deer herd so to benefit the hunters success at 'harvest' time. Anything the hunter says or does would be unacceptable to PETA, so, don't try to appease them. When in the future they have a big problem with urban wildlife killing their pets and threatening children, tell them to handle it.

Comment

"Get" seems to be a popular word among deer hunters, as in "Did you get your buck yet this year?"
        Answer: "No, and I didn't get one last year either."

Comment

"Catch" is a terrible choice of words, but is often heard among non-hunters, as in "My cousin catches a deer every year."
          Yikes!

Comment

"And he sometimes catches two deers." Ugh!!

Comment

Corn and wheat are harvested.
              Groceries are bagged.

Deer are killed.

Comment

Our 16 year old pet cat was not eating or drinking last week. He was slowly dying and suffering. The vet couldn't help us so he "put him down". You would never hear my wife or I say we "killed" our cat. Now in so many words we did tell the vet to "kill" our cat.
                We all use the “sugar coated” words and say we "put our pet down". Nobody on this website would ever say they "killed" their dog or family pet.

I agree with Santa, one of God's Ten Commandments states "thou shall not kill". Lets not beat around the bush; the fact is as hunters we all kill wildlife. My opinion I feel the proper "Society Lingo" is to use the softer sugar coated words. The animal rights organizations will use the words “kill” and “murder” all the time. Whenever they complain about hunting in “letters to the editor” or when they are interview by newspaper reporters they will say words like kill, murder and hunting just for "trophy mounts". The antis hate when we use the word harvest.

I am going to continue to clean the messy blood off the animal I shot in the woods, I will continue to cut off the animal’s tongue if it is hanging out and I will continue to use sugar coated words.
                I'm not given an inch to the Bambi Lovers but I am trying not appall someone who stands in the middle of the hunting debate.

Comment

When I completed advanced infantry training in the U.S. Army, our company commander announced that we were "paid professional killers."
                  To a bunch of twenty-year-olds, that sounded like high praise. It had such a macho ring to it.
                  I imagine it still holds some appeal for hunters who wish to gross out their audience, and who prefer to "gut" rather than "field dress" their deer.

Comment

Just in case any PETA supporters just happen to be reading this here on F&S, may I add that if they are wearing natural cloth underwear, a plant or its future offspring was killed to make the cloth. When I eat my turnip greens tonight, a turnip plant had to be killed to supply the bounty. The biodegradable paper bag that I use to carry my groceries home prevented a plastic bag from ending up in a land fill, but caused a tree to be killed in order to supply the pulpwood. Even the house I live in was made from the killing of pine trees in order to supply the lumber. In short mankind must "kill" living things in order to survive. Living things such a plants and animals are a renewable resource and can sustain us for years to come. Even fossil fuels, which are non-renewable and in limited supply today, were the result of the death of living creatures and plants. But people as a whole do not like the word "kill" or death, thus the terminology has to be approached carefully. So for you PETA people out there, The Dinosaurs that supply the oil for your gasoline, just expired. The lumber for your house was "milled", your clothes were made from "woven" cloth, and the veggies you eat were "harvested". All the while, the meat I eat was humanely "dispatched".

Comment

A little off track, but living,dying it happens in the real world, and most of the time it is not very pleasant. The reality is that the deer shot by you Gary, for instance will die a much more humane death than to torn apart and eaten alive by NJ coyotes! This is what we have to get across to the folks sitting on the fence.

Comment

I would have to agree that the word kill should be used. No point in sugarcoating it and as many have pointed out anti hunters are not going to be swayed by softer language.
                        People in MN often ask me if I "caught" a deer if I tell them I was hunting. I usually say "Yup they are pretty easy to catch after you shoot them".
                        The feeling I get after killing an animal is hard to explain. The closest I have come so far is that it is very exciting but not "fun". A mixture of elation and sadness. Or perhaps a sense of accomplishment at having done something that requires skill and dedication tempered by the recognition that you have taken an animals life.
                        It feel it is important to engage non-hunters in a thoughtful way and try to help them understand the important role hunters play and the real respect that most of us feel for the animals we hunt. Doesn't always help but rarely hurts the cause.

Comment

Mdhunter just posted a question in which he mentions that he has yet to "connect on" a buck. Just sayin.'

Comment

Good word "connect". I like it.

Turn on the evening news tonight.
                            You should here the words murdered and killed repeated through out the news broadcast.

Comment

I think the word "killed" is appropriate in the case of a news report about a murder. You wouldn't want to say that the murderer "harvested" his victim.

Comment

I just finish reading the February 2014 Field and Stream magazine.
                                On page 9 under the title “Best Days of the Rut Bucks” you will see the following words.

NOVEMBER 3 -“I was fortunate to “harvest” a magnificent 18-point buck …David Comer.

NOVEMBER 11- I “arrowed” a 149 inch bruiser…..Chris Collins.

Will somebody let me know if you find the words kill or killed in this magazine or any other hunting magazines? The Editors know what they are doing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad