Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a newspaper outdoor writer in New Jersey who writes weekly hunting and fishing reports. He continues to use the word “k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any problem with using the word killed. Call it like it is. Every piece of meat that we eat comes from an animal that was killed. It is what it is!

Comment

Old 300, who cares what Peta or the Humane Society thinks?
      I worry more about new members joining these hunter hater groups.

Comment

I've said it before, but here it is again. Make no mistake, anti-hunters hate what we do, and they hate what we stand for, and if they do not, we are probably doing it wrong. Harvest, bag, and take all imply to me that we should be ashamed of fulfilling our natural role on the food chain. A wolf or a bear does not harvest a deer and neither shall I.

Comment

I use the word kill. In my Hunter Ed classes I ask if anyone is against killing and then I tell them that someone killed their Big Mac it didn't die of old age. I guess maybe you can be more passive but I tend to use the word kill when I talk about hunting. I agree with others that it sounds like we are apologizing for doing what we do by saying harvesting. When the WV DNR publishes the report after the Buck season in the newspapers they put in the headlines that the "2013 Buck Kill Was Up From 2012". We must be more crude and straight forward here in WV and our people aren't easily offended.

Comment

Not to get too nit-picky here, but if we're talking about a newswriter, we should also keep in mind that using words like "tagged" or "bagged" or "took" along with "kill" is likely part of his effort to not be redundant in his writing. And though I stand by my comment above about "harvest," I can live with it when I get the sense that it's used for that reason. Overall, I suggest that any of us who has a local newspaper that still prints a hunting-and-fishing column shouldn't sweat the small stuff. The outdoor column used to be a standard part of any sports section; now, many are shifting towards skiing, mountain biking, etc. or being eliminated altogether.

Comment

So maybe we should have used phrases like "bagged some VC" or "harvested a couple of NVA" or "took a Tabiban or two" with a wee bit of sniper fire, tac air or drone strike? Maybe Jane Fonda woulda been a little more fonda us....

Comment

Woops "Taliban"

Comment

Equating hunting with warfare ... now there's something the anti-hunters can really sink their teeth into.

Comment

My mother had a stuffed pheasant that was shot by my uncle, her brother. And "shot" has been the only term I use unless there is a specific reason to choose another word.

Comment

Well I just stuck my foot in my mouth. I didn't see the part of your comment regarding those on the fence about hunting and thought your comment was saying something that it wasn't. I guess I need to stop trying to read though comments and pay a little more attention to them. A geuss if I did that I won't be in an embarrising situation like this.

Comment

A meant to type guess, not geuss. And the problem with using shot 99, is that shot does not always mean killed.

Comment

When I say shot it means killed.

Comment

Too many of the general public think that hunting is just a blood sport and do not understand that it is a necessary part of animal control. I do not feel the need to help enforce the blood sport mentality so I always try to use a term which will not upset those people which are squeamish about dealing with death. The term I use most is to "dispatch" which sorta infers that you have just sent or directed the animal somewhere. For example, the mental image of a freight dispatcher who sends out freight does not dredge up a mental morbid bloody picture in the mind of someone who has been taught "thou shalt not KILL". But in reality you have sent an animal humanely to its death. After all, dealing with death is just another part of living and no living creature can get out of life alive.

Comment

I like hunt but I often don’t kill. The intention may have been to kill but often not the most likely outcome. And frankly, most days thats good enough for me.

Comment

To be correctly aligned to today's Administration, we should use language typical of those who put them in power, e.g.,

We're going to decease (or demise) some dux.

Or

I'm taking Junior deer hunting this weekend so he can Make His Bones.

LOL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad