Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's that time of year (and weather) when I like to read books. Just finished Larry Benoit's book about chasing big bucks writt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time of year (and weather) when I like to read books. Just finished Larry Benoit's book about chasing big bucks writt

It's that time of year (and weather) when I like to read books. Just finished Larry Benoit's book about chasing big bucks written in 1976. It was okay but probably really good for the time. Just ordered Saxton Pope's book Hunting with the Bow & Arrow circa 1923. Can't wait to get it. Anybody else reading anything interesting?

Recently finished Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart which is a must read for any outdoorsman.

Comment

Another great one is A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. By the way the Benoit book is a great one.

Comment

Every couple years i reread some of my favorites..."A River Runs Through It", "Into the Wild", "Into Thin Air", "The Perfect Storm" "Flags of Our Fathers"... maybe i'm too cheap to buy new books!. Hope all is well in Ohio. Still chasing deer with a bow here in late Jan. What'd you boys shoot?

Comment

I must be different but this is the time of the year that I start reading the Good book from cover to cover again. I throw in a couple of Vietnam aviation books that I have acquired over the years.

Comment

I finished Full Draw by Steve Chapman a few days ago.

Comment

FRED EICHLER HAS A GOOD BOOK CALLED BOWHUNTING WESTERN BIG GAME.GOT MINE FROM AMAZON.

Comment

Just the usual, The Bible, Tolstoy, and differeng books about carpentry and furniture making.

Comment

I usually go cover to cover this time of year on Cabela's , Gander Mountain and Bass Pro.

Comment

It's old and a bit dated, but I still love Outdoor Life's Deer Hunting Book. It's a collection of great stories with my favorite being Horace Hinkley's big Maine whitetail. Jack O'Conner, and other big names have more than one piece, but the amatuers write some very interesting stuff. I guess I like it so much because these men (in the day of buck only shooting) were not antler crazy.

Comment

I love to read the KJB faithfully and repetitively all year, not just seasonally. For lighter reading, I just log on to F&S. And since I have been posting on this site, I have often had to do a little serious reading from the old Webster Dictionary to help with my spelling. But reading the dictionary has not helped at all with my many typos and to be perfectly honest, its plot is awfully hard to follow also.

Comment

I'm really enjoying "Fly Fishing with MacQuarrie" its a collection of stories by Gordon MacQuarrie who was an outdoors writer from Wisconsin in the 1920s-1956 when he died. The stories are funny, and down to earth. MacQarrie makes you feel like you're in the stream, which is the closest I've been in too long now.

Comment

I've been reading a lot of dog training books right now. It's not that I am putting their advice to use. It is just interesting to compare trainers/handlers styles. Also Steve Chapman has a great book. I believ it is called A Look at Life from a Deer Stand.

Comment

Just started Jim Harrison's early novel, Wolf, and also have A Good Day to Die to read after that. Pretty soon it'll be time to re-read all of his Brown Dog novellas, too.

Micropterus24, you probably know about MacQuarrie's "Stories of the Old Duck Hunters," but if not, you should head to your library or Amazon.com. In my opinion, MacQuarrie was right up there with Gene Hill and Ben East.

Comment

I just finished reading three of Jim Corbett's books about hunting man-eaters in India. HIGHLY recommend those. Also recently red through the "My Side of the Mountain" trilogy and am currently involved in the autobiography of Chuck Norris.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad