Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should it take to tie up a buck, drain it, gut it and have it ready for supper time? Is there a "world's fastest" reco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2L_NMGZxcY

Comment

20-25 min skin, gut, quarter and put in ice chest...and take jaw bone out for the biologist, and do measurements and weights...that is what the hubby said

Comment

I've written about this a couple of times and from the feedback have learned that everyone does it differently. Go to your local cooperative extension service office and get their excellent booklets on hanging meat and on butchering it. Hanging it makes a huge difference in tenderness and flavor.
        And if you follow the fascia lines, removing muscle groups one at a time, it's actually faster than using the meat saw, because you don't waste time cleaning bone chips out of the meat. I'm to the point now that I use those laser-serrated vegetable knives from the supermarket. No cleavers, no fancy-schmancy German steel. Venison makes awesome bratwurst and jerky.
        A big elk is 12 man-hours beginning to end. A little deer about half that (from getting it hung on the hanging stick to cleaning up all your butchering gear.

Comment

I dont doubt you beekeeper about 34 seconds, but I sit here and try to imagine that, and just find it damn near impossible to get a deer gutted, skinned, and quartered in 34 seconds. 3 minutes I could possibly believe but 34 seconds I cant even fathom. Would love to see that guy do it in 34 seconds.

Comment

MB915,

There are some tricks to it. They let him start with the deer already hanging. He used a ripper style blade to cut the hide and and ax to quarter it. You don't sepnd time gutting it in the traditional manner, you seperate the quarters from the intestines and other internal organs.

Comment

Up here in Maine my dad and I can get a deer gutted in about 6 or 7 minutes. That's everything. Then we get them skun, quartered, cut up, freezer wrapped, and in the freezer in about 3 and a half hours

Comment

That's one of us on one deer. We can both do those times ourselves

Comment

Ok, 34 seconds, you have got to be kidding! I don't believe he can get the skin off in 34 seconds much less quarter it. I can do it and 25 to 30: skin off, quartered and on ice. I don't pull the guts out as it is faster to open the inside up just enough to slip the tenderloins out. The other reason I say it is far fetched is because I watched the guy at the packing house skin one in around 3 minutes and that was with a winch on the floor to pull the skin off. When the packing house is running full tilt they average a deer skin on to deboned, tenderized, ground etc to freezer in 12 minutes!

As far as field dressing I can have the deer back to camp in 10 minutes so there is no need. The time or two that I field dressed it was extremely cold so I field dressed and waited. Both times the deer was coated in ice and miserable to clean the next day so I just go ahead and get it in the cooler.

Comment

I'd prolly rank as the worlds slowest. I'm always getting a hard time from my buddies on how long & take to gut them. My best is in the 1/2 hr range just for the gutting alone-lol. I like to let them hang (weather permitting) for at least a few days before skinning & quartering.

Comment

3-5 days i let the deer hang

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad