Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should it take to tie up a buck, drain it, gut it and have it ready for supper time? Is there a "world's fastest" reco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should it take to tie up a buck, drain it, gut it and have it ready for supper time? Is there a "world's fastest" reco

How long should it take to tie up a buck, drain it, gut it and have it ready for supper time? Is there a "world's fastest" record out there?

The Worlds Fastest Deer Skinner lives in my county. He set the record in 1983 (I think). It is 34 seconds, hung, skinned and quartered.

Comment

Wow...

Comment

I hang my meat 3-5 days with the hide on. I'd be in last place.

Comment

Me too Buck Hunter! In his formative years this fellow used to hunt on the other side of the fence with alternative lighting (if you catch my drift) and had to be fast!

Comment

My gut (pardon the pun) feeling has always been that somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 minutes between the gutting, hanging, skinning and quartering processes would be a good goal. I never hit the target myself...

Comment

I run em' out in about 30/45 mins.
              To Beekeeper, like the "alternative lighting" comment.
              LOL

Comment

I was gonna mention that some poacher would hold this record but thought it wiser to save the comment. I didn't want to insult the legit master of the gut pile.

I will say that while in college I had a hot date but ended up shooting a deer that night. I gutted, dragged it near a mile then hung it in time to be only 1 hour late and smelling like a gut pile.

I can't remember her name but I bet she remembers mine!

Comment

34 seconds ?!? That would be fun to see on video! It usually takes me an 45min to one hour to skin, quarter and hang a deer in game bags. Gutting in the field usually takes 5-10 min.
                  buckhunter, you hang with the skin on? My experience has been that it makes the meat a lot less gamey if it cools quicker in the bags rather than in the skin. Plus it is way easier to skin when the kill is fresh.

Comment

It takes us about 3 minutes to get it field dressed, but we wait untill the end of the season to quarter tehm because we usually will have about 5-6 deer to quarter. We hang them with the meat on and use the big outdoors as the freezer. we just find time some weekend to cut them up and prepare for supper. We farm though so there are nights we will shoot a deer, put it in teh pickup,do chores, then go back when done with chores and use a pen light. Me and Dad have gotten pretty good at gutting from the pickup with barely any light except to see if all the entrails are out. I gues having field dressed 20 odd deer past dark in teh last 2 years helps.

Comment

It usually take 2 or 3 days. Don't know the record.

Comment

I would guess the total time required would depend on the deer being dead before it is tied up. It is going to take considerably longer if the deer has something to say about. Definitely better to start with a dead deer.

Comment

Chuckles, I always hang my deer with the skin on. It keeps it dry if it rains. Also, If you take a baseball bat to the deer while it is hanging you'll be surprised how tender you can make it.

Comment

5 minutes. If you move quick

Comment

that is for skinnin, guttin, and quarterin

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X