Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do bucks shed their antlers in Pennsylvania?, and what are the best conditions and best time to look for them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do bucks shed their antlers in Pennsylvania?, and what are the best conditions and best time to look for them?

When do bucks shed their antlers in Pennsylvania?, and what are the best conditions and best time to look for them?

Assuming the PA deer are close to Ohio deer, shedding should take place between now and the beginning of April. I begin looking for sheds about mid-March. The best days to look is when the ground is wet and the sheds stand out.

Comment

Bucks can loose their antlers from December to the end of March. I heard stories of bucks holding their antlers to April but I never witness that on my trail cameras.

The trail cam photo link below shows two bucks that were always seem together. This 7 point buck with his leg up getting ready to stomp followed this 8 point piebald buck everywhere. The 7 point carried his antlers to the last week of March via my trail cams.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001468188#1001468188

Comment

You will have to play the weather. With this huge cold system coming through they should be dropping by the end of the month in some areas. If you are in an area that is pressured by other shed hunters, you won't be wasting time by getting out there the middle to end of next month.

Comment

I have found that most antlers are lost between the end of December and end of March. However I had a tail can picture three or four years ago of a buck who still had his about mid April. I find more sheds late January into late February. I look in major travel ways and along fields as well, preferably while there isn't any snow. Bedding areas are a killer spot too. I take my dog along as well she's found quite a few!

Comment

A few of my friends have found some this year around central pa

Comment

We have seen bucks shed in early December and hold them into late Feb. or longer. I think most shed in February but there are too many factors to say.

Comment

This year it seems there are more earlier drops occuring than normally so. A very poor acorn crop and poor beachnut crop with colder than normal weather also seem to be the reasons why.
                Bucks of all sizes and ages also are being effected.
                Even further south than Pa. many reports are coming in about these early sheddings taking place.
                Anyone finding these early drops should drop in here and tell us about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                  Bucks can loose their antlers from December to the end of March. I heard stories of bucks holding their antlers to April but I never witness that on my trail cameras.

The trail cam photo link below shows two bucks that were always seem together. This 7 point buck with his leg up getting ready to stomp followed this 8 point piebald buck everywhere. The 7 point carried his antlers to the last week of March via my trail cams.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001468188#1001468188
                  I was trout fishing April 9 2015 I saw a eight point buck with a full rack first time I ever saw a buck in April with a full rack a nice white rack this was in philadelphia in pennypack park about 6:00 pm

Comment

I just want to say thanks for all these answers. I haven't hunted in years and my kids are getting interested now.

Comment

I saw a nice buck with one antler in late march this year in northern Lancaster Co. and foundit later.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I had pictures of a buck that already shed on camera in late January this season and saw at least 3 or 4 bucks today (feb 11th) with both antlers still attached so I guess it depends on weather a lot
                        Last edited by Depros122416; 02-11-2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

A good place to look for sheds is along a fence line where deer cross from one side to the other.

Comment

A good find might look something like this:-))

Comment

Last year on March 14th I took this picture in Chester county Pa . You can plainly see this buck still had his antlers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad