Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hunted deer with a 7.62x39? Using hunting ammunition, of course. I have toyed with the idea of buying a mini thirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimbo,
    7.62x53R is a Finnish cartridge and not the same as a 7.62x54R, which is the parent case.

Comment

JHFBEAR
      This last season I shot two deer. One with a 30-06 and the other from a Ruger Mini 30 using 7.62X39. In both cases, both shells worked well. The 30-06 shot was at 90 yards and the 7.62X39 was at 75 yards. No problem with penetration. Both shots were heart-Lung shots.

Comment

I used the 762x39 so ammo and have taken a few deer. Some guns I've used was an SKS, mini 30 and a zastava m-85. The zastava cannot be beat for the price of a good 100 yard deer rifle

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          I have NOT, But we have some Old boys(2 Nam Vets) that use SKSs in 7.62x39R for every thing in the Swamp Hogs,Deer,Fox,Opossum. They live in a Camp some were in the Swamp???They trade pelts for 7.62x39 Ammo.
          Yes I have hunted deer with SKS with success

Comment

I have taken 4 whitetail bucks with my SKS in Norhtern Wisconsin, I may add that I have a scope on mmine and just used standard surplus ammo. None of my shots were over 100 yards, I would estimate 60 yards max give or take 10 yards. All shots were lung shots, and had no problem what so ever downing/recovery of these deer. Its a great round, but I would not try reaching out over 100 yards, unless the conditions are just right. as previous comments, shot selection and practice, practice.. can make most calibers deadly. Good Luck and Shoot Straight!

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
              Pretty anemic cartridge for deer hunting IMO
              Don't know about that. Dropped a 200 pound 11 pointer at 130 yards just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                Pretty anemic cartridge for deer hunting IMO
                Don't know about that. Dropped a 200 pound 11 pointer at 130 yards just fine.

Comment

I love all the answers that start with "I think", or "I believe", so here is what I KNOW. This year I made an AR chambered in the 7.62x39 round because I hunt primarily at 100 yards or less, PLUS I wanted a rifle that shot the russian round due to its vast availability. I also reloaded my own ammo using Hornady 123 grain SST rounds in Lapua Brass. Well I KNOW it will kill deer just fine because I have one in the cooler as I type this. It was a quartering away shot that entered the rib cage on the near side and exited the shoulder on the far side. The deer was recovered about 25-50 yards away dead. So I killed and recovered a deer with a rifle that some say wont reliably shoot a 7.62x39 with a reloaded bullet that some say wont kill a deer! It was about a 60 yard shot and the round was not loaded hot, it was a standard loading under the maximum recommended load. As soon as I get a better scope on that rifle it will be my go-to deer rifle!

Comment

It's my preference, although accuracy is lacking in comparison to many other calibers, it doesn't over penetrate so it expends all of its energy fragmenting sooner and IMO kills much quicker. Downside....you need to be more cognitive of distance and debris in your way. I use the Robinson Arms XCR-L have shot deer and bear with it usually dropping them in their place which is what I look for because I can't get a quad into my blinds.

Comment

I use an sks to hunt. It's a great round and it is dirt cheap. I have made accurate shots out to 300 yards with iron sights, but i don't recommend that. I know it will drive tacks at 50-100 yards

Comment

took a 7.62x39 AR (yes, AR) hunting last year and dropped my biggest buck to date, in his tracks with one shot. it was about 125-130 yards, in brush with a cheap (russian) factory 123gr JHP. He literally did not take another step and just dropped. Shot placement was not ideal ( Lungs, not heart), but the results were impressive. to be blunt, this round was designed to drop man sized targets (guessing 150-200lbs) and within reason, and about 200 yards they are very effective. I probably would Not try a > 200 yard shot with one, but nor would i trust my .30-30 past 200. IMO.

Comment

Anybody have experience with the 7.62X39 where the results were not good ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                            Anybody have experience with the 7.62X39 where the results were not good ?
                            What are you looking for?
                            To be upfront, I do not have a 7.62x39 (never have owned one).

I have read where it is basically equal to a 30-30 (or just under a 30-30) with pointed bullets.
                            In terms of a 30-30 I know a lot of people that use 10", 12", and 14" 30-30's in the Contender pistol platform. Some use factory ammo. Many reload for it, and the 125 grain NBT is a very popular choice and many deer have died because of it.
                            Even the BFR revolver is chambered in the 30-30. I have a friend who has one in a 10" barrel and he is shooting just at 1 MOA at 100 yards. He had it modified to the 30-30AI, and you are going to have velocity loss because of the cylinder gap.

The only bad experiences anyone is going to have is if they choose the wrong bullet or do not place the bullet in the correct place. Now, if a specific platform itself is not capable of keeping shots in the kill zone at a specific distance that cartridge performance is capable of, then that hunter would be stupid to take it into the field.
                            I know a number of guys who have used the 300 Whisper or the Blackout with success on deer with short barrels as well. Deer are not that hard to kill.
                            I have killed quite a few different big game animals with the 357 Magnum revolver out to 150 yards, with one further.
                            Most of the time a wounded animal, is wounded because the hunter did NOT place the bullet where it should go. Then, that same hunter blames the cartridge, the bullet, the scope, etc...say that the reason for the wounded deer that got away is for all of these reasons, when he does not know and cannot prove it, because the critter got away.
                            Typically, it is poor shot placement!
                            Bullets do NOT always act the same way for various reasons (most are reasonably consistent), but not many hunters study the science of death, and consistently do a complete assessment of the trail, and how it affected the internals or if the bullet hit bone and created extra multiple bone bullets.
                            We are happy it is dead, and we take care of it as fast as we can...And there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
                            Enjoy what you hunt with!
                            Support others with what they choose to use, if it is legal to use, and they are competent with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

What are you looking for?
                              To be upfront, I do not have a 7.62x39 (never have owned one).

I have read where it is basically equal to a 30-30 (or just under a 30-30) with pointed bullets.
                              In terms of a 30-30 I know a lot of people that use 10", 12", and 14" 30-30's in the Contender pistol platform. Some use factory ammo. Many reload for it, and the 125 grain NBT is a very popular choice and many deer have died because of it.
                              Even the BFR revolver is chambered in the 30-30. I have a friend who has one in a 10" barrel and he is shooting just at 1 MOA at 100 yards. He had it modified to the 30-30AI, and you are going to have velocity loss because of the cylinder gap.

The only bad experiences anyone is going to have is if they choose the wrong bullet or do not place the bullet in the correct place. Now, if a specific platform itself is not capable of keeping shots in the kill zone at a specific distance that cartridge performance is capable of, then that hunter would be stupid to take it into the field.
                              I know a number of guys who have used the 300 Whisper or the Blackout with success on deer with short barrels as well. Deer are not that hard to kill.
                              I have killed quite a few different big game animals with the 357 Magnum revolver out to 150 yards, with one further.
                              Most of the time a wounded animal, is wounded because the hunter did NOT place the bullet where it should go. Then, that same hunter blames the cartridge, the bullet, the scope, etc...say that the reason for the wounded deer that got away is for all of these reasons, when he does not know and cannot prove it, because the critter got away.
                              Typically, it is poor shot placement!
                              Bullets do NOT always act the same way for various reasons (most are reasonably consistent), but not many hunters study the science of death, and consistently do a complete assessment of the trail, and how it affected the internals or if the bullet hit bone and created extra multiple bone bullets.
                              We are happy it is dead, and we take care of it as fast as we can...And there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
                              Enjoy what you hunt with!
                              Support others with what they choose to use, if it is legal to use, and they are competent with it.
                              We were hunting in Michigan and a local drifted into camp with a surprised look on his face. A seasoned hunter and marksman said he shot a big deer a little time ago and it took off like it was never hit. He used a 30-06 with winchester silvertips. we helped him look and nothing. Looking back in the '60's when silvertips were all the rage I remember similar results from a model 94 using silvertips. everyone changed back to coreLokts.
                              I have shot bears with my model 94 and noticed if they are standing still they are more likely to fall, if they are moving they take off like a freight train. we always tried to hit a front shoulder first then f/u with a lung/heart shot. we tried to get as close as we could to take a shot. CoreLokts always worked good.

Comment

Nothing beats dragging up a 4 year old thread....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to A hobby besides hunt, fish and shoot
                                  by fitch270

Jim, I just checked that video out again and it reminded me of a plane I had when
                                  I was a kid. Just found one like it online. Cox...
                                  Today, 05:10 PM
                                • A hobby besides hunt, fish and shoot
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Local paper wanted to do an article on our R/C Club and they put a Go-Pro on my plane. This was over 10 years ago. So far 7,300 views.
                                  HD model...
                                  Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                                • Reply to 15,500 members
                                  by MattM37
                                  True. "Vaccinate vs. don't vaccinate" doesn't stack up to Gary Devine vs. Dallas McWhorter. You could've sold tickets to some of those...
                                  Today, 05:09 PM
                                • 15,500 members
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Where is everybody ?? Don't you have any fishing, hunting, or shooting stories ? Must be a bunch of introverts....
                                  Yesterday, 10:34 PM
                                • Reply to 15,500 members
                                  by fitch270
                                  Agreed on the civility, difference was the arguments weren’t as stale. The entertainment value just isn’t there anymore.

Interesting...
                                  Today, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X