Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hunted deer with a 7.62x39? Using hunting ammunition, of course. I have toyed with the idea of buying a mini thirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever hunted deer with a 7.62x39? Using hunting ammunition, of course. I have toyed with the idea of buying a mini thirt

Anyone ever hunted deer with a 7.62x39? Using hunting ammunition, of course. I have toyed with the idea of buying a mini thirty for a in gun to shoot and possibly do a little deer hunting with at short range.

I have NOT, But we have some Old boys(2 Nam Vets) that use SKSs in 7.62x39R for every thing in the Swamp Hogs,Deer,Fox,Opossum. They live in a Camp some were in the Swamp???They trade pelts for 7.62x39 Ammo.

Comment

Pretty anemic cartridge for deer hunting IMO

Comment

The 7.62x39R is like a 30/30 only Pointed...Lol
        JMO~ Find some one with a Mini Thirty try it out for Accuracy. my pick would be Ruger 77/All Weather in 7.62x39R.

Comment

With good shot selection at appropriate ranges the ballistics say it will kill deer but as WAM points out there are better choices.

Comment

If it is all you have. Otherwise, get a 30-30 with 160gr Hornady Leverevolution and be properly equipped.

Comment

The 7.62x39 and the .30-30 are very similar in ballistics.
              The .30-30 Win probably ranks as number 1 or 2 in deer kills.
              At .30-30 ranges, inside 200 yards, the 7.62x39 with soft point ammo is adequate for deer sized game.
              The biggest key is understanding the limitations of the round you choose and operating within those limits. Keep that in mind and the 7.62x39 will serve you well.

P.S. - I may laugh to myself at a SKS in the woods, but it don't mean the user isn't a hunter! LOL!

Comment

I might have a flashback and start shooting towards the report of an SKS, AK, or Mini 30.....

Comment

Always wanted to bring the SKS out for a hunt, but in Pennsyltucky Semi autos are not legal rifles for hunting. There are 154gr soft points out there, I am sure they will work just fine at normal ranges. I would also consider a Russian or Chinese SKS over a Mini 30. Likely more accurate, and gives you a bayonet if the deer, or WA Mtnhunter charges you.

Comment

You can use a 7.62x39 for large game. regardless of what most people say about it's accuracy, how many people do you actually know that can outshoot any rifle, no matter what the caliber. As far as kinetic energy goes yes should be fine, but it is a little bit anemic and the drop off is going to hurt you a little bit out past 150-200 yards. Be sure you are well practiced with the firearm and got get one.

Comment

Tree, it's not a 7.62 x 39R. The R stands for rimmed, which the little stubby is not. Think Moldy-Nagant for that.

As far as the rifle and cartridge for hunting, it will work, not being the best on several hardware and software points.

I always thought the mini- series of rifles were pretty close to a m1a section. How about a shorter variant of that in 308? Better rifle, better cartridge. I think they make one called the squad scout that uses the full length gas tube (not so on the SOCOM) and is a more handy length than the full size M1a's

Comment

7.62X53R is the Moisin-Nagant
                        7.62 is .308 diameter, the .308 is 7.62X51mmNATO
                        7.62X39 military load is 122gr and has 1470lbs of energy at the muzzle. 150gr is advertised at 1610 lbs/ft of energy.
                        I have the SKS and would pick the Mini-30 over the SKS, mainly due to accuracy.

Comment

I have a Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm.
                          Accuracy is easily 1 MOA at 100 yards. Better if you have good bags and good glass.

Comment

Thank's Mr.Amflyer
                            The R Stud for 7.62x39 Russian not Rimed and some ammo boxes have markings 7.62x39 Soviet.

Comment

Amflyer-
                              You have excellent taste in rifles, touting the M1A Scout Squad in 7.62 Nato/.308 Win. over the anemic 7.62 X 39.
                              However, as a deer rifle, the Scout Squad weighs in at 8.8 lbs. before the addition of mounts, scope, sling, and rounds in the chamber, which brings the total rifle weight up to about 10 lbs. A lot more weight than necessary for a light weight deer rifle.
                              Also, even a used M1A will run triple to four times the price of the cheaper SKS or Mini 30, or the other numerous economy rifles chambered for the 7.62 X 39, IF you can find one.
                              I would just go with a .30-30, in a Winchester 94 or Marlin model.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad