Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently in the past few years I have killed most of my deer from a tent bling that I pack in if I am not hunting on family land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently in the past few years I have killed most of my deer from a tent bling that I pack in if I am not hunting on family land

Recently in the past few years I have killed most of my deer from a tent bling that I pack in if I am not hunting on family land that has ladder stands. What do you use most. Climber? Ladder? Tent blind? Homemade natural ground blind? Let's hear it. Also any good or bad experience in any of them.

My hide of choice is a tent blind. It got shredded this year in high wind and I am looking at a baronet bell bottom as a replacement.
    Ive shot more deer sitting on the ground than up high. Plus, I can take my nap without fear of falling too far.

Comment

I hunt mostly from tree stands. sometimes I hunt from screen style ground blinds if I find sign in an area where I don't have any stands. the past few times I have been in a natural ground blind though.

Comment

I prefer a natural ground blind. I used to hunt from a ladder stand and also hang on tree stands. The problem with them is moving them is a bit of a hassle and I don't think I did any better with them than a ground blind.

Comment

I use a standard ground blind the most. I also have the single chair blind which is good for hunting with revolver, not enough room for long gun or archery. Chair opens up and the attached blind folds up from the back and over the top to the front. I like using it when it is raining and I have the .44mag hand gun or when I want to move to different spots.
          I also have a climber but use it the least.

Comment

Ive gotten more deer out of my 15'Two man T-Stans if ya want a Nap/with a safety strap and 18'Box Blinds want a Nap set the seat back, I feel safer high-up then on the ground + I can see wats a comen.

Comment

I was always a tracker. Not enough patience for still hunting.

Comment

I hunt from a home-made wooden tree stand mostly, but also ladder stands, never had any luck in a ground blind except for turkey.

Comment

For archery, I hunt from a Summit Viper climber. Great stands. Absolutely quiet and rock solid. I also have a homemade ladder stand near my house. For the opening day rifle season, I generally hunt a natural ground blind I built a number of years ago and have had good luck in catching a couple of nice bucks running for cover as the masses stumble around. I'll hunt that for a day or two and then on Saturdays when other hunters are out.. On other days that I can get off, I generally still hunt. Honestly in rifle season, I had as much luck just sitting on a log or flat rock I've laid against the base of a big tree. Remember even ten or fifteen years ago, no one hunted from tent blinds and very few people used tree stands unless the were archery hunting. I've killed a lot of deer by sitting still against a tree and watching. People tend to get careless in tree stands and tent blinds thinking deer can't see or smell them.

Comment

I sit on a 5 gallon bucket.

Comment

I have been hunting everything out of my turkey hunting chair for the last five years, mostly out of natural ground blinds. A rough trip through memory lane yields 8 deer and 3 turkeys. I enjoy the flexibility and the up close ambush style of hunting. My farthest shot in five years was 30 yds on the turkey I killed last year.
                      I pretty much only climb up in trees for bear hunting.

Comment

The last time I went deer hunting in Saskatchewan the Guide had ground blinds.
                        The Guide placed the blind down wind from the legal bait pile. I heard deer snoring behind me the entire week.

Another time hunting Saskatchewan the Guide had a tree stands down wind from the bait piles. Never heard a deer snore all week.

The moral of the story, smart big bucks will circle an area before coming into a bait pile.
                        Get your human scent up high off the ground so the big bruiser bucks can't smell you.

Comment

sorry "snort"

Comment

and "snorting"

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad