Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite type of wildlife to eat?Any recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite type of wildlife to eat?Any recipes?

What is your favorite type of wildlife to eat?Any recipes?

Doves, bubbled in spicy brown gravy.

Comment

Wild turkey breast. Sliced 1/4 inch, pounded, rolled in flour, salt and peppered and fried in butter. By the way my wife's favorite wild game dish too.

Comment

I love eating just about anything i shoot (even the backyard rabbits). One of the best recipes for wild game i have found is for pheasant and chuckar. You need a small bottle of honey, a stick or two of butter (never said it was healthy), flour, salt, and pepper.
        1. Heat your oven to 400
        2. Cube the breasts into just slightly larger than bite sized chunks
        3. Roll the chunks in the flower(with salt and pepper to taste)
        4. Melt one stick of butter in a skillet and slightly brown the chunks
        5. Remove the chunks and add the honey and other stick of butter
        6. stir the mixture together and fully melt the 2nd stick of butter; remove the mixture from the stove
        7. Put the chunks in a 9x13 glass pan and cover with as much of the glaze as you can
        8. Seal the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes
        9. Eat the most amazing pheasant/chuckar you've ever had in your life

Comment

I like the dead type of wildlife.
          Seriously, I like venison the most. Cooked almost any way. Chops in the bottom of the slow cooker covered with sauerkraut.
          Small cubed venison steak in chili.
          Steaks on the grill.
          Venison stew.

Comment

Mdhunter1,
            That sounds great. I like anything with honey. The best wild meat I have ever eaten, though infrequent, is Gerenuk, aka Wallers gazelle. The backstrap melts in your mouth. Have had it cooked in many fashions all worked wonderfully.

Comment

Elk tenderloins and roasts work for me! Cooked in the slow cooker with onion soup mix and a little garlic.

Comment

I can do myself an injury eating bacon-wrapped dove breasts off the grill. Wild turkey, oven roasted on a Turkey Cannon with a tart white wine in the cannon is hard to beat.

Now, if y'all would let me include fish in the wildlife category, I'd go wild starting with broiled pompano and moving on to fried cobia---heck, there are so many tied for first place I can gain five pounds just thinking about them.

Then again, Christmas Eve I had giant burritos made with ground venison and nearly had a fist fight over the last one until I pointed out to my cousin that I'm the one who killed the deer, processed it and cooked the burritos. Besides that, I threatened to introduce a foreign substance into his coffee.

Comment

Strangest meal was hyena back strap in sweet sour sauce. Th e sauce was good.

Comment

Best meal in the world- grilled venison tenderloins -

When processing, cut the tenderloins into 8 to 10 inch sections.

Put a crushed garlic clove, a pinch of red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt,, and a pinch of fresh ground black pepper in a little olive oil and let it sit at room temperature for a half hour or longer. (Keep the tenderloins refrigerated until ready to cook-important so they don't get overcooked).

Brush the tenderloins with seasoned olive oil and grill over a hot charcoal fire about 5-7 minutes a side. (They should be rare-medium rare- 130-135 temperature in the center). Slice very thin and serve with sides of whatever you've grown in your own garden.

Comment

As I'm waiting for dinner (leftover wild turkey) Here's some more:

I'll have to say wood duck or mallard breasts sautéed medium rare with a little salt, pepper, and garlic is a close second to venison. I'm particularly partial to wood duck.

Another would be marinated wild turkey breast grilled on a charcoal fire.

Grouse is better than wild turkey and puts any tame chicken dinner to shame.

And then there's squirrel pot pie-the Pennsylvania German version - it's basically squirrel stew with homemade noodles based on a pie dough recipe.

How about fish? Panfish fillets deep fried. Put a little salt and pepper on and serve. How about baked walleye?

You've come up with an almost unanswerable question here. So many choices, so many great meals.

Comment

#1 Elk- Never had elk cooked bad, just good and better.
                        #2 Bobwhite quail- Chicken fried with biscuits and gravy.
                        #3 Froglegs- Chicken fried
                        I could add about a dozen more, but these are the top three.

Comment

#1 Would be Wild Turkey deep fried, I take the breast soak them in milk over night, cut them into nuggets then do a double coat of Mo's Mix seasoning ( 1/2 original and 1/2 cajun) then deep fry them for 4-5 minutes. They never last long, one afternoon I cooked up 4 breast and they were all gone in less than 30 minutes. The Mo's Mix is from Rolla Missouri that I have to order on line since I moved away from there 10 years ago. The seasoning is also fantastic on bass and catfish.
                          #2 Is Venison, Elk and Caribou fixed almost anyway and #3 is quail wrapped in bacon and slow cook with mushroom soup and veggies.

Comment

I really like bass, crappie, bluegill and catfish deep fried.

Comment

Honker "smokies" (a.k.a. beer sausage). Better than anything in the deli section! I have yet to let anyone sample them who had any idea they were eating something wild, let alone wild goose meat. I eat at least one a day. Not greasy, no preservatives or hormones, fairly low in salt, high protein, GREAT flavor. Absolutely organic. Being healthy never tasted better!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad