Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is smarter a crow or a turkey?

Which is smarter a crow or a turkey?

As high as my opinion of wild turkeys is, I'd have to give the edge to the crow. Their intelligence is much more versatile and they have been known to use sticks as tools.

I think a wild turkey's smarts come from suspicion to the point of paranoia, and extreme wariness.

Comment

I'll agree with Country Road. The crows got to be more smart. The turkeys prey skills in my opinion come from their eyesight and such, not brain power. Eating from under a bird feeder is opportunistic not problem solving. Tipping over trash cans to get to the food takes the cake in this contest. IMHO

Comment

I have raised both baby crows and turkeys. I used to have to put red marbles down in the turkey's water dish to get their attention so they would peck at at the water and learn to drink. The baby turkeys would look up at the sky with their mouths open when it started to rain and would drown, hence the old saying "too dumb to come in out of the rain". While a baby crow would sit down and say to me "look at them dumb turkeys out there drowning" all while the crow was beating me at a game of cards.

Comment

Crows are very smart.

Comment

My money is on the Crow.

Comment

Jhjimbo, another vote for the intelligent crow.
              It looks like the crow wins by a landslide.

Check out this one minute video below of crows using their brains in Japan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdAlnMrB_Pg

Comment

Years ago when a crow was eating carrion on the road and a car was coming, they would fly all the way up to a pole or wire until it was clear to fly down again.
                Now, when a car comes along, they hop over to the shoulder and wait till the coast is clear to return to the meal.
                Is that evolution??

Comment

I heard crows have the problem-solving capablities of a 13 year old child.

Comment

No Jhjimbo- not evolution. Learning of the English language. There's most always another crow up on the phone wire saying "CAR! CAR!" to warn the other crows of the on coming danger. (sorry for that, I do understand it was lame and no, I don't tell it at parties)

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

Crow intelligence must be some kind of conditioned learning.
                        Now, if only the deer would learn not to step out in front of a vehicle. That would save about 22,000 per year in Ohio alone.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad