Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your opinions on deer hunting with an AR type weapon? Do you view people hunting with them differently than you would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your opinions on deer hunting with an AR type weapon? Do you view people hunting with them differently than you would

What are your opinions on deer hunting with an AR type weapon? Do you view people hunting with them differently than you would view a person with a more traditional hunting rifle?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine was hunting public land and had two of his tires slit(and a hate-filled note left behind) centered around his use of an AR-15.

Comment

As many an old-timer would think, I see the AR-15 hunters as wannabees seeking to project a Rambo image. JMO.

Comment

I saw AR-15s advertised in F&S in the 60s and always wanted one.Finally gotta AR-10T .308 with the stainless heavy barrel. Just an accurate high-quality rifle.No Rambone.

Comment

My wife tells me that I am a dinasour and am against any change at all. I have to admit I don't like change. That being said, I now hunt with an inline muzzleloader so I have bent some. I am a certified firearm's instructor and certify the Sheriff's Dept. and City Police Officers and the Sheriff's Dept. has Rock River .308's. They have been very nice and let me have one of them and ammo on the range to shoot as much as I like. The rifle is accurate beyond belief and a pleasure to shoot. I wouldn't hunt with one but I wouldn't look down on someone who does, as long as they don't dress in all of the black tactical gear and carry 20 30 round magazines and act like Rambo. They are making them in camo and the Rock River in camo is a nice looking rifle. I could probably be talked into buying one if the price was right or if I had some trading material that wasn't needed since the .308 is one of my all time favorite cartridges.

Comment

I saw AR-15s advertised in F&S in the 60s and always wanted one.Finally gotta AR-10T .308 with the stainless heavy barrel. Just an accurate high-quality rifle.No Rambone.

Comment

Not a clue about the double post.

Comment

My issue with them is the perceptions it creates with non-hunters. Like it or not many people cannot see the point and I think it gives hunters a more negative image.

Comment

I’ll stick with my bolt action, but it doesn’t bother me if others want to hunt with ARs, as long as they use an appropriate caliber and shoot responsibly. Here in Colo. the regulations specify at least .24 caliber for any big game hunting, meaning a .223 does not qualify. I think that’s a good thing. An AR in .308 or similar would work just fine, but I don't see any real advantage over more traditional hunting rifles.

Comment

The ain't gots no wud on 'em!
                    Whats wrong with hunting with an AR?
                    As long as it's a caliber appropriate to the game, go for it!

Get a grip, dude!
                    The more things change, the more they remain the same!

Comment

The ain't gots no wud on 'em!
                      Whats wrong with hunting with an AR?
                      As long as it's a caliber appropriate to the game, go for it!
                      ...AND!!! ...the users don't adopt a "spray n' pray" attitude!

Get a grip, dude!
                      The more things change, the more they remain the same!

Comment

It is an image thing with the anti's, same way with camo and other para military looking stuff or actions.

Comment

If the gun doesn’t violate the Fish and Game laws then who gives a hoot what a hunter chooses to hunt with.

I bet your tire was slash by an animal rights protester. The antis slash hunter’s tires during bear season last year at the Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey's Warren County.

Comment

PA doesn't allow semi autos for big game hunting. Although I'd venture there are some guys around here who could put as many rounds down range as fas as an AR with their Amish Automatics. (Rem. 760's).

Comment

The main selling features of the AR-15 is rapid fire and military styling, which tells you a lot about the owner.
                              Draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad