Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So as i look outside I see 60+ mallards floating by on the river,then i look down out of this same window and there are the Trac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So as i look outside I see 60+ mallards floating by on the river,then i look down out of this same window and there are the Trac

So as i look outside I see 60+ mallards floating by on the river,then i look down out of this same window and there are the Tracks of probably half a dozen Deer,Then i look up and see a Bald Eagle fly by, so my point does anyone else enjoy living in a place where its almost too great?

Yeah, this izza goose migration path and many spend the Winter here. Hundreds of thousands have flown over during this snowstorm.

Almost got stampeded by elks during the last storm while Ah wuz runnin mah dawgz, and a large blacktail buck stepped out from behind a rock and totalled mah Subaru 4WD.

We had such a big salmon run thet they wuz stacked up on the riverbanks as fur as ye could see, creating a powerful stench and it attracted a lotta bears.

Mama Bear (about 400 lbs) walked right by while we wuz settin outside drankin a beer after work.

Good thing Gypsy (rest her soul) didn't imagine a Big One wood run from her!

Thet's mebbe overdoing it, butt real.

Comment

I am happier living in town and leaving the country as country rather than filled up with homes, snow-cats, ATVs, barking dogs, noisy trucks, telephone lines, gas stations, tourist shops, etc., etc. I was raised in a country home in Western Montana. But it's not in the country any more! I weep every time I go back there. No kidding. Back then we would regularly see moose in our front yard. I don't think the folks that own our old house have seen a moose in decades. They don't see much of anything but commuters racing back and forth on the paved road fifty yards away. But not this guy! I will NEVER do that. I love it out there too much to wreck it with my permanent presence.

Comment

Suffice it to say, "Yup."

Comment

There has been a house on this property for over 100 years so we aren't disturbing anything not already disturbed. Trumpeter swans by the hundreds, ducks by the thousands and lots of raptors fill the fields and sky daily. The occasional deer munching my apples and browsing my plum trees.

Comment

I'm perfectly content on my little piece of paradise. Elk, whitetail, mulies, and antelope are all over our property. We've a pond a ways back with 20" + rainbows and browns being more common than not. In the cliffs over top of the reservoir is a known mountain lion den. On a peak across the "dull knife" pasture were 600+ elk last evening. On my ride back in from the city last weekend I took the back way into the ranch. Riding with me was a 35 year old guy with CP, he's the epitome of a cowboy and our colt starter here on the ranch. When we came back onto the ranch he pointed out the passenger window to a small group of 8 mulies, 5 doe and 3 bucks. A 2x spike, a 3x4 and a monster of a 5x6. The smaller of the two bucks were both battered, exhausted, and blood covered. There wasn't a scratch on the big guy, as I'm sure the lesser bucks knew what their fate would have been if they had tried to pick a fight with him. It's a plain old cool place were blessed to live in. It's also filled with some great people, which makes it all the more "tolerable".

Comment

I'll add that our reservoir held 3-500 mallards two weeks back before the cold snap buttoned it up for the winter, the previous weeks before that, hundreds apon hundreds of honkers were in the reservoir every day. I never realized sooooo many rabbits existed either. While our upland birds aren't scarce, it's mostly chuckars down lower around the house. When we get into the mountains and trees the spruce grouse become more prevailant. The rooster numbers just aren't high enough to warrant taking any for the time being, but there are hundreds of coyotes. In february, the UOW and Wyo G&F will be using our "dump pasture" as a landing zone for their mulie program. They'll net the local deer with a helicopter and then set down about 500 yards from the house to study and release the animals. As I said before, we like it here, and I thank everyone on F&S for encouraging my better half and I to make the move. You all probably had more influence than one might think.

Comment

I live on 100 acres in upstate NY's lake effect country. This has been a farm for ever. The native trout stream down back has been dammed by beavers and now has large mouths to 5lbs. Deer, turkeys, geese and ducks are daily visitors. The eagles and ospreys fishing in the pond are my favorites. I enjoy the coyotes calling in the winter evenings cold bright moonlight. I'm selling and moving into town, out of NY because of old age and disgust with NY politics. I'll miss this home of 35 years where my first wife and many labradors overjoyed my heart.

Comment

Sounds a lot like the view from my front porch. There isn't a day goes by that I don't praise God for the majesty of His creation and thank Him for my privilege of living in the middle of it.

Comment

Mr. Sourdough- thank you for using capitals where capitals are due.

Comment

I have to say it is one of life's simple pleasures! I shot a nice 6x6 elk that I glassed up from my porch this year, have great trophy mulies in our yard often, I could do without the bear problems during dry summers, but all in all, I couldn't ask for more.

Comment

I have to say it is one of life's simple pleasures! I shot a nice 6x6 elk that I glassed up from my porch this year, have great trophy mulies in our yard often, I could do without the bear problems during dry summers, but all in all, I couldn't ask for more.

Comment

Not a whole lot of wild places in Indiana where you can really get away from it all, but I am proud of the one that I have and I hope that it stays wild for many years to come.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad