Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am getting ready to sight my muzzelloader in for the season next month. I have an H&R sidekick break down with a bushnell scop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am getting ready to sight my muzzelloader in for the season next month. I have an H&R sidekick break down with a bushnell scop

I am getting ready to sight my muzzelloader in for the season next month. I have an H&R; sidekick break down with a bushnell scope on it. I had trouble with it before but I snugged the screws down pretty good for the scope rings. I have white hot powder, probably loading 150 grains, with hornady SST sabots. Im probably going to sight it in about an inch high at 50 yards. Does that sound like a good idea or should I go for dead center at 50? Also anyone with any ballastic knowledge what would you recomend for a comfortable max shooting range with a load like that?

I have the H&R .50cal and load 90gr(3X30gr) triple 7 and powerbelt 295gr bullets, or TC 250gr sabots. Check the manual but I think 150gr is too much for the H&R.
    Sight in at 1" high at 50 sounds good. I would think it is a 100 to 125yd range. My shots would be in the 50 to 75yd range.

Comment

Whut jhjimbo said, mostly.

You ought to be on paper at 100 yards and then you'll know how to finish sighting in...

Comment

Unless you ae going to do some extreme long range shooting I don't think you need 150 grains of powder. I shoot 2 50 grain Triple Seven pellets and Hornady 250 grain SST sabots. My rifle is 1 inch high at 50 and that puts me dead on at 100 yards. I rarely get a shot at a greater distance than that when muzzleloading, but if I did I am sure I would good out to 150, probably 2 or 3 inches low.

Comment

I shoot a CVA/Wolf 50Cal,with 2/50Gr Pellets of White Hot and Hornadys 250Gr SST-ML,I sight in 1/2" high at 75Yd, dead-on at 125Yd. As others have said 3/50Gr pellets in your H&R sidekick is NOT Recommended.
          Shoot safe....Hunt often.

Comment

Most of the field testing shows no real benefits to the max loads except for velocity. And more noise and recoil.
            There is no substitute for trying different combinations to find the best one for your muzzleloader but most people find a sweet spot somewhere under 150grs.
            And then shoot it at various ranges.

Comment

I agree with jhjimbo. I'd also recommend practicing at the ranges you might want to shoot so you understand the impact point, accuracy and holdover just in case you need it.

Comment

Yeah the 150 grains was a typo sorry. Im shooting 100 grains. Im having trouble getting it dialed in. I took it all apart the other day for a good cleaning and made sure the rings and base were good and solid. After two or three shots it gets goofy. Are you supposed to clean it after every shot when sighting it in? Im new to muzzle loading and this thing is kicking my butt getting it set up.

Comment

Drew,
                  Sabots tend to leave a plastic build up in the bore when at the range firing multiple times, especially as the barrel warms up. Hunting is no problem as you only shoot once. Try some Powerbelt and see if they work better for you.

Comment

Drew,
                    Another thought. Is your Bushnell scope made specifically for a .22? Usually a very low price scope - around $40 or $50.00. If so it may not handle the recoil of the ML.
                    You need a regular scope designed for high power rifles or shotguns.

Comment

I have an anti fouling barrel foam you squirt down the barrell that is supposed to clean everything up really good. I sprayed that down the barrel the other day after shooting and let it sit a few hours and cleaned it really good again. The scope is a tasco bantam. Big scope, I think it is for shotguns. Big heavy scope. I checked my rings and they were solid on there. The first three shots I could walk it down the paper but after that it started delaying between the primer going off and the powder. Should I try to take it out and see if I can finish it or should I look for a new rifle? What are the powerbelts? I am pretty loyal to hornady, id hate to switch but if they shoot better....

Comment

Thanks for all the help everybody I really apreciate it!! I am panis rifle shooting before the season comes in. I have a pretty good buck just about patterned. A few weeks ago during gun season I saw him opening day but he was about 100yards out and in the brush,didnt give me a shot I was comfortable with. A few days later I was walking around in there and found new rubs and good GOOD tracks. He has a highway worn down in there now. I think if I can get my ole musket dialed in he will make an apperance for a shot.

Comment

Drew,
                          A delay in firing 'hangfire' can be a dangerous thing. Some causes in a ML could be a dirty breech plug/hole, bad powder or pellets and bad primers. I would try some other powder and primers and if the problem goes away throw out the first powder and primers. Both components have to be kept in a dry, cool place.

Comment

Drew,
                            I forgot another possible cause of hangfire. If you do not get the powder/bullet all the way to the bottom you could have ignition problems and again a dangerous condition. When you have fired multiple time you may be getting a build up and make it harder to seat the charge and bullet all the way down.
                            With a clean barrel load your charge and bullet and be sure it is all the way down, then mark your ram rod at the muzzle so you will know in the future if the bullet is seated to the proper depth.
                            If you fire and there is a space to the powder you can get excessive pressures. Not good.

Hope these suggestions help, happy hunting and hope you get a shot at that buck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad