Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a point of amusement there was a story on the local news. It seems Long Island N.Y is over run with excess of 35,000 Deer. If

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a point of amusement there was a story on the local news. It seems Long Island N.Y is over run with excess of 35,000 Deer. If

As a point of amusement there was a story on the local news. It seems Long Island N.Y is over run with excess of 35,000 Deer. If you Google Earth Long Island you will see it is a suburban environment. Where they are keeping all these Deer is beyond me. But they are contributing to a lot of auto accidents forget about eating someones $300 Rhododendron. They decided to cull the herd. This was attempted several years ago. But due to the close environment, protesters and PETA it failed. What they have planed for the February cull is baiting the Deer to a safe free fire zone. Then have a bunch of trained snipers with night vision and suppressed weapons dispatch the Deer at night. The meat will be donated. I can hardly wait to see how this pans out.

Many moons back, an area over run with deer scheduled a "cull" hunt! The tree huggers set up a howl.
    In an attempt to appease them, the game biologist divided the area in half.
    Half was cull hunted, the animal rights group did a relocation program on the other half.
    Within a year, the herd health improved on the hunted half.
    The other half was still in chaos! They had captured TWO deer, borh died in transit!
    The biologists finally shut them down and cull hunted the last half, improving the entire herds health.

Comment

I have heard there is some good bowhunting on Long Island. Seems a waste to "Cull".

Comment

re: Anticosti Island deer population and problems.

Comment

They have used 'sharp shooters' in Ohio for years. Several Towns have stopped because it was costing too much - something like $300 per deer.
          The State hunting season harvest is over 240,000 deer and the herd is still too big, there were 24,000 deer car collisions last year with 6 deaths. The deer are thick, particularly around suburban areas. An area close to me is allowing archery hunting inside town limits if you have several acres.
          They have also tried dropping birth control from planes (for racoons also) with limited success.
          I have a group of deer go by in the field behind my place every night at dusk. My sister, a few miles away has to shoo them out of the drive to get in. They bed down in her yard - drives the dogs crazy.
          Ohio tried an early doe only ML season this year during archery that did thin the does some and was considered a success by the State.

Comment

Steve the last big cull was attempted on Fire Island. It's a barrier island that is a petting zoo 4 months out of the year. Bows trumpet shotguns and rifles due to proximity to houses. The vacationers leave and the Deer starve. When the cull was started the protesters were banging pots and pans. The Deer charged the bow hunters looking for food. A more effective hunt would have been done with a sharp knife and a handful of peanuts.

Comment

Damn, I should have been a sniper. Why not let hunters from out of state and within take a few as well?

Comment

If PETA feels so bad about culling, maybe they should finance an airlift operation, and drop bails of hay from helicopters to keep the deer from starving;-)

Comment

That's just it 99, PETA wants to protest but when it comes to doing something proactive they won't/can't produce. They want all hunting to stop but have no solution for the over population of wildlife that would result.

Comment

Yes ozarkghost, PETA DOES have a plan!
                    It's called "dart & relocate" or "birth control implants"!
                    Both proven ineffective many times over.
                    I'm supposing PETA prefers piles of starvation dead/dying deer!
                    Last time PETA tried it didn't work. Snipers with silenced rifles and finally solced the problem.
                    The problem to THAT solution is IT'S short lived!
                    Unless a season is established to keep the population at bay, it won't last long.
                    Rhode Island has a deer season, but people literally hunt in their back yards!
                    Same problem on Long Island! Where do you hunt? Your back yard?

Comment

First, I have lived in a similar area suburban Jersey(I escaped long ago) and deer live very high on the hog(pun intended) close to homes, lots of nice spots to bed down in the shrubs and tons of annually replace free food. Second, feeding them(PETA dropping hay) will only make more deer, and Third safe sex for deer never works, and what needs to be done is open up archery season and the deer population will go down under control with monies coming in rather than pay a small fortune to pro's to take them out.
                      But hey, it is their tax dollars not mine!

Comment

I can Remember the day's(1972-75) Deer hunting on Potato(e) Farms on Long Island, They had Signs[Hunters Welcome]Ya'll will never see that again.

Comment

RJ Arena

I'm sorry sir, but guess what?
                          Those ARE your tax dollars!

Comment

They can transplant those deer to Illinois. Deer totals down by 24% from last year, Sharp decline since 2005. Its a shame to see the death spiral from what was once a great whitetail state.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad