Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it is post rut why am i seeing fresh rubs and and this morning seen a fresh scrape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it is post rut why am i seeing fresh rubs and and this morning seen a fresh scrape

If it is post rut why am i seeing fresh rubs and and this morning seen a fresh scrape

Where do you live/hunt? A and your area may be coming out of lockdown, younger bucks may be making rubs and scrapes, or you may have bucks beginning to chase does that didn't take the first time around.

Comment

secondary rut is almost here.

Comment

I spect nobody told the deer the rut was over. Lotta things influence the time, intensity and duration of the rut, like the buck/doe ratio. If it is way off from 1:1 you will tend usually to see a longer, less intense rut. That is typically what we see here in the south, and just have to deal with it.

Comment

They rub into February around here sometimes. The rut is a series of starts and stops with most breeding occuring at night before and after the peak which varies in intensity based on food, weather, and other voodoo.

Comment

I mentioned earlier that this is the worst deer season that I have had in my life. On 365 acres we have killed 5 bucks and there is not one rub anywhere. Usually I find 30 or 40 rubs on the property. That was the topic of conversation at camp all week about the lack of rubs on the property. I found 1 scrape where I usually find 30 or more scrapes around the property. We have not seen any mature bucks running does. My buddies tell me that the big mature bucks aren't running yet. I have not seen one doe with her hair ruffled on her back where she has been "rode". I don't know how that can be. Usually by this time the rut in our area is over.

Comment

Jackie - Bucks can make scrapes any time of year, (they just make a lot more of them during the breeding season) and they'll make rubs as long as they have hard antlers. Post-rut doesn't mean the breeding is over...it just means that the peak in breeding activity is over. Breeding and breeding related behaviors will continue into the winter as long as does are receptive and bucks have hard antlers.

Comment

The bucks here in Kentucky seemed to me like they had a late start in fact tonight on my way to work I came a flip of tagging a doe with my truck after she cleared the road I looked to my left from the direction she came and there was a buck, my first instinct is it hasn't been cold enough to push them into a full on "rut" so they may be some hold overs still out there, In fact this has been one of the craziest season I have hunted in the last 10 years.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad