Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer/elk season closed today here in Montana. I was out hunting pheasants all day. Fired more shells than usual - seven shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer/elk season closed today here in Montana. I was out hunting pheasants all day. Fired more shells than usual - seven shots

Deer/elk season closed today here in Montana. I was out hunting pheasants all day. Fired more shells than usual - seven shots for a limit of three roosters ... and my lab caught one of them in the tulies. Heard a lot of rifle shooting also. Most shots sounded like they connected. I suspect many hunters were willing to settle for shooting does on the last day (entirely legal here to take either sex in this district). How many of you have done or would do the same thing?

Had a pretty rough season down here in SE Montana, deer are really spread out and haven't seen very many mature bucks. Filled my mule deer doe tag two weeks ago, could have shot another one and tagged it with the general deer license today but have plenty of meat in the freezer. Went out after pheasants and sharptails yesterday with some friends from MN after they got their bucks, bagged quite a few sharptails but the pheasants were elusive. My younger brother did get a coyote that came out of the draw chasing his GSP. Hope all is well up in your neck of the woods and happy hunting, may they flush close.

Comment

Got my fill of deer this year, 1-5Pt & 2 Does, Now it's Bullwinkel time till Jan-19th. As for Elk We have Hi-Fence Elk, Dollar a pound for Does and $2,200.00 to $4,000.+ for a 7x7, not my cup of tea. They do a great Buss/on out of State hunters...NO Lic,needed.

Comment

Antlers are nice to look at and it's cool when you best a big buck, but I (we) love venison and we have lots of does and tags in my part of New York State.If I have a (they call them antlerless here) tag, and it's clean shot on a nice fat doe, I'm taking it.

Comment

Glad you are still enjoying Montana OH. I noticed the end of elk season too as I looked at my $1,100 worth of tags this morning. I was thinking "It's officially over and I could have had a new rifle... bummer". Too bad there isn't a place where you can trade those tags in for rifles. I am still looking for good tag soup recipes.

Comment

I have and will shoot a doe later in the season. Back in Maine it is common practice if you have drawn an antlerless deer tag to fill it any time of the season. Your WMD (wildlife management district) needs population control and youve been elected. I usually waited until the last week and made sure it was a lone die. Just my two cents.

Comment

If my freezer needed meat I would shoot a doe or a cow elk.

I would never shoot a mother black bear with first year cubs. I would go without freezer meat before swooping to that level. It would be like killing the bear family with one shot.

Comment

DakotaMan: Sounds like you have lots of interesting memories of your trip up here. Not many memories attached to buying a new gun. I think the money was well spent on the tags. Like the poster above said, deer were kinda spread thin up here. Nevertheless, I had no trouble taking my brother, his son, my host, and his son to their bucks. All were shot within a week and three in the same spot! None were anything spectacular although a sixteen year-old kid shot a beauty less than thirty yards below my host and I (buck and hunters were both out of sight). Have seen relatively few deer while bird hunting this year. Kicked up a decent muley buck last Sunday only to find his rack and bones a quarter mile away three days later. Coyotes picked it clean except for the head. Appears his jaw was broke but no wound. Perhaps injured in a fight and weakened enough for the fuzzy dogs to get him. Impossible to determine if it was shot and lost.

Picked up another limit of roosters in that place yesterday but it was a LOT of work. Pearl can hardly get up this morning. Opal caught one on her own in the tulies. Last year she caught eight but that's the first one this season (thankfully! too often they're hens). Difference is I'm hunting the dogs a bit differently this year and not nearly as many birds around.

Comment

OH, you are right. I got more than my money's worth of enjoyment during the 10 days I spent in Montana. It is beautiful country. My legs have almost recovered by now. I must admit, as much as I tried to get in shape, I felt a little like Opal on the day I left. I hated to go though. Wish I could have stayed longer.

I saw tons of mulies as I drove east across Montana that night. Actually had to stop for a giant buck and his harem standing right in the middle of the road about 70 miles from the SD border. Had to honk to make him move along. Saw a couple of monsters in the ditch along the way too. I was sure I saw a Game Warden hidden on the opposite side of the road in one case... maybe he was just mounted as poacher bait (just kidding).

It sure is tempting to see a 30 inch rack after 10 days of hard hunting and while you're still carrying a valid tag, regardless of what time of day it is. It took a lifetime of clean living to give me the strength to keep driving. LOL

Best of luck with your hunting!

Comment

Honker,
                    You know anymore my idea of a trophy whitetail is an 80 pound doe that falls where I can drive to it-LOL
                    I apologize for the long hiatus, buck ol Doc gave me the long face back in September and I ended up having triple bypass surgery (of the open heart variety, no stents) October 2. Messed up my Dakota trip this year, but am doing and feeling a whole lot better after the revascularization of the old ticker. Waterfowl season came in Thanksgiving Day and the boys and I managed a few to the gamestrap. I am just thankful for seeing another opening day.

Comment

RES1956- I'm glad your here for another season too. I wish for many many more for you.

Comment

Robert, I was going to ask WAM about your disappearance but figured he would have said something if there was a bad reason. I have thought about you often. Glad you are back!

Very, very glad to hear you are on the mend. Take care of yourself. How's that that odd-colored young dog shaping up? Was hunting good?

I'm leaving Montana today after about ten inches of new snow falling the last two days. Been here a month. Pheasant hunting was "okay." Not a lot of birds so I have been putting in a LOT of walking. This year I shot VERY well ... except for this last box of high-speed Federals. The cheaper slower shells seemed to be much more deadly. My Brittany pup (age two now) has been working out beautifully. Old Pearl the wonder dog is starting to show her age but still hanging in there. Her recovery from brain cancer is 100% and apparently permanent. Amazing. Into year two now. These days she's definitely in the back seat hunting behind the other two dogs. I usually only hunt her half days every other day. Opal rarely lets Pearl make a pheasant retrieve but she is still queen on the goose fields.

Comment

Res1956, sorry to hear about your ordeal but am happy to see you are recovering well. My best to you on a speedy and complete recovery.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            Speaking of the QAnon fool ...

And what magazine articles was I supposed to have plagiarized? Oh right ... the one about chasing elk on
                            Today, 04:40 PM
                          • Trump
                            by Danbo
                            https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                            04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                          • Reply to Trump
                            by crm3006
                            From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                            Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                            Today, 04:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X