Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New deer hunter. (Please forgive totally newbie questions!) Really, honestly, how important is it to wear camo? I don't have a l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New deer hunter. (Please forgive totally newbie questions!) Really, honestly, how important is it to wear camo? I don't have a l

New deer hunter. (Please forgive totally newbie questions!) Really, honestly, how important is it to wear camo? I don't have a lot of extra money to blow on camo everything, but I don't want to reduce my chances of getting a deer, either.

You don't need camo if you can conceal yourself in a ground blind or tree stand. You do have to use blaze orange if the State requires it. If you wear it, be careful about your movements. A deer can't see a blaze orange watch cap rotate, but if you move it from side to side that stands out and the deer will alert to it.
    Just don't use a lot of bright colors as they show up a 'light' spots against a low light background and are easy for the deer to see if they move.

Comment

are you hunting out of a stand, out of a blind, or sitting on the ground or stalking? some on here will disagree with me, but its not a 100% must have some of the biggest deer shot around me is by an old guy who wears blue jeans and a brown carhartt coat if its really cold he has on brown bib overalls, a lot of my hunting camo is military surplus BDU pants you can pick them up at a gun show or ebay for less than $15 same goes for a coat you can get a heavy weight coat surplus for usually less than $30, if your really wanting a good set of camo gear try buying a piece or 2 a year and catch the end of season sales you can get some pretty good prices on stuff.

Comment

Camo is not that important, esp. if you will be hunting from a tree stand. I would avoid blue jeans if possible, because deer are able to recognize that as a color.
        Red, orange and brown are preferable, and clothing with a pattern are preferable to solid colored garments.
        Good luck.

Comment

I've heard "read" that deer can see red really well
          maybe I read it wrong you can Google it. Any way if you stick to nature colors green, black, brown, and clothing with no shine or clothing that is kind of broken up in color you should be fine. I am the same way I wear black or blue jeans and my camo coat haven't seen or shot any deer yet bu then again I haven't got'n out allot so I don't think it's the clothing. I also think that weather you do or don't have the money scent blocking materials are a waste of money.
          Seth

Check my other post I asked you a question on there the one that you posted on.

Comment

I started hunting when plaid was cool - red and black pattern Woolrich jacket with matching pants and a red leather cap.

Comment

They are hard to find these days, but I like uninsulated camo coveralls. You can pull them over whatever you wear for the weather conditions, from shorts and t-shirt to jeans/long johns with wool shirt etc. I think some camo helps in the field.

Comment

I agree with what the others have said. For cheap camo I second the idea ofmilitary surplus. Woodland BDUs for when it is early season when everthing is green, and if you coild find some multi-cam for later in the season when everything is brown.

Comment

wear dull colors and stay in the shadows. I prefer to wear camo, but you can get by without it. just make sure you are not silhouetted or sticking out like a sore thumb.

Comment

If you wont cheep Camo try Army-Navy Surplus Store you can walk out with a full Army Camo Uniform under $40.00 They have mountains of used uniforms,back packs!!

Comment

Thanks for answering my question I have been trying kids my age on this sight to keep in touch with. All the older men have been on here for a while and have there own circle. Do any of your kids write on here at all?
                      Seth

Comment

One of mine is a hunter but she's a little old for you, she'll be 20 this spring, and the other one doesn't go much for the outdoors. She's a bookworm. Sorry, wish I could help more.

Comment

Heck! I didn't wear camo until I was nearly 30!
                          Wear dull or drab colors. I've killed deer sitting on the ground, not wearing camo.
                          Most hunting was done from tree stands which allowed some leeway. Box blinds/pop ups are good also.
                          The BIGGEST key is staying still and quiet.

Comment

Seth, I don't know if you are aware or not but I am close to your age. so is Brock Holloway and I think Mdhunter1 is younger also.

Comment

The most important aspect is staying still. I have killed deer without camo before. The main reason I wear it is the warmest clothes are in camo usually.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad