Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A perfect afternoon hunting almost ended in tragedy thanks to a slob hunter. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A perfect afternoon hunting almost ended in tragedy thanks to a slob hunter. See first post.

A perfect afternoon hunting almost ended in tragedy thanks to a slob hunter. See first post.

Beautiful afternoon. Slightly overcast, no wind, and hovering just at freezing. Took Opal and the Britt for a stroll in a creek bottom outside town to see if we could get a few birds. Bagged two old long-spur roosters and a Hun in only three shots. But also came close to losing Opal. Some slob hunter had killed a deer near the willows, dressed it, then threw his bloody surgical gloves on the ground. Pack of coyotes cleaned up the gut pile but left the gloves. My dog tried to eat a glove and dang near choked on it! What’s really pathetic is the animal was gutted about seven feet from the open water creek! How many of you wimps leave your gutting gloves in the field? Why not just throw them up in the deer’s body cavity and take them home to go in the dump where they belong?

Comment

Heck of a way to lose a good dog. Glad you were there to save the day for Opal. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving, OH.

Comment

Honker, Glad that Opel is OK, Not every Hunter thinks the same and some don't think at all!
        Here in Fl. Our Hunt Camp most all don't Gut our deer or hogs, The Meat Processors prefers the hole deer or hog,they get to keep the hide,bone,and such it keeps the price down for us.
        and Happy Thanksgiving,OH.

Comment

There is nothing I hate more then finding trash in the field. I am glad your dog is ok and I hope that she doesn't have to go through that again. Just this weekend I found a make shift hunting blind on my property with trash laying all around it. They also left a couple of sweaters and some blaze orange clothing. It looks like they intend to come back, but now little do they know that I can hide and catch them in the act.

Comment

Sad thing is that there are so many inconsiderate lowlifes in this world, no respect for anyone or anything. I don't know how many times I go fishing and see miles of fishing line left on that bank along with everything else you can think of. I'm happy that everything turned out alright for you OH and your dog.

Comment

Honk, just curious if Opal did swallow the glove would it pass through her body or would you take no chances and immediately take her to the vet for surgery?

My younger policeman Brother was dispatched out to a house where a black lab puppy was screaming in pain. A large bone was stuck in the puppy’s rectum and my brother pulled it out.

Labs are like Piranha they will eat anything with blood on it. LOL

Comment

Last week I was out on opening day for deer shotgun in Michigan. Got set up really early, sat until the end of the day watched everyone move in and out of their spots and walk all around. I was there just until I couldn't see anymore. As I left the public hunting ground I kicked my foot through something looked down and some lazy SOB drank a six pack while hunting and then just left the cans I was so pissed. His drunk butt was in the field and could have injured someone or killed them and not only that but just left his trash all over. Horrible ethics. Some people just don't think.

Comment

OH, its a good thing you are enjoying the Montana wilderness where about 98% of the people have so much respect for nature that they don't even drop a cigarette butt. I suspect you would have the BIG one if you rode with me for a half hour through Atlanta where people throw McDonald's bags and beer cans out their car window as they drive along.

The new rage is throwing old tires in the road because the garbage services will no longer take them. I have a little stash of half a dozen tires I've picked up in the last month. I really enjoyed Montana in contrast even though I did find a plastic water bottle in the timber.

I'm glad Opal is not harmed. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Glad everything turned out ok. You guys ever she'd hunt on public land and find hunters trash, scent bottles, wicks, and snack wrappers?

Comment

Glad everything turned out ok. You guys ever she'd hunt on public land and find hunters trash, scent bottles, wicks, and snack wrappers?

Comment

You touched on a very sore point with me. I used to dive as a youngster. NY is home to many pristine lakes. Till you dive below the surface. Then it looks like a dump especially with regard to plastic containers. They never decompose.

Comment

OH, glad Opal is ok. I live in East Texas and around here we have so many ignorant SOB's who just chunk all their trash out on the side of the roads. Our local lakes have all kinds of junk in 'em. Lots of old worm containers, fishing line, bait packages, and beer cans. It's sad to think about these kinds of people being in the woods and on the water.

Comment

I adhere to the old Boy Scout adage of leave it better than you found it. Been teaching that to the grandson. The first couple of times I had him pick up some one else's trash he protested, then he saw how much better it was and does it on his own now. We always do a final check around to make sure we are not leaving anything and pack out what we pack in.

Comment

Have some slob hunters here as well, always seem to carry some sort of garbage I find out with me at the end of the day. Found a Schrade knife in a sheath the other day, by the looks of the leather sheath it had been there a good long while, though the blade was still good and sharp . As for the gutting gloves I will not use them, I don't think the deer minds if I'm not wearing them, and I personally don't care for how my sense of touch is when I am wearing them. Glad Opal wasn't harmed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X