Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody seen any deer that were acting strange and may have been sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody seen any deer that were acting strange and may have been sick?

Has anybody seen any deer that were acting strange and may have been sick?

Here in south central Kansas the deer population has seemed pretty healthy this year. Last year however was rough. I found a buck in march swimming in a pond. When I approached the pond in my vehicle he swam out and ran off. This happened 2 days in a row. The third time I saw him he was dead on the bank of the pond. We had still been trying to come out of a drought and the water was still stagnant. He was very thin and sick looking. I spoke to the warden about it and he drove out to see the deer. They did not take any further action. We came out of the drought and our population seems to be coming around.

Comment

Here in south central Kansas the deer population has seemed pretty healthy this year. Last year however was rough. I found a buck in march swimming in a pond. When I approached the pond in my vehicle he swam out and ran off. This happened 2 days in a row. The third time I saw him he was dead on the bank of the pond. We had still been trying to come out of a drought and the water was still stagnant. He was very thin and sick looking. I spoke to the warden about it and he drove out to see the deer. They did not take any further action. We came out of the drought and our population seems to be coming around.

Comment

I had a very sick deer come through my bear set up in August. It was making this crazy moaning sound with every breath and was skin and bones. I am still conflicted about whether I should have put it down but pretty much decided at the time that interfering with the course of nature was not my job. Not an easy decision at the time and it still bugs me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad