Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to scent and deer hunting so i'm going to need some help from you guys. Is it better to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to scent and deer hunting so i'm going to need some help from you guys. Is it better to

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to scent and deer hunting so i'm going to need some help from you guys. Is it better to hunt deer with stinky armpits or armpits that have deodorent on them?

Use cover scent or Channel #5

Comment

Typically in the morning I wash without soap and really don't worry about masking scent. I have never really believed in that sort of thing. I know old guys that used to smoke and listen to the radio while in their blind and they came away with a deer every year. Its not so much the product you use but how you are as a hunter!

Comment

I don't waste my money with all the expensive products like Scent Away, Dead Downwind, etc. I wash my hunting clothing in a little baking soda, dry it on the line, and store it in a trash compactor bag inside a plastic tote. For soap/shampoo, I use unscented body wash. Then I use unscented antiperspirant/deodorant.

I really don't think any of that is as important as watching the wind, sitting still, and staying in the woods when it comes to bagging deer, but it can't hurt.

Comment

Just use Arm&Hammer unscented deodorant. It's not expensive---I use it year-round. You still have to play the wind---deer are gonna smell you no matter what.

Comment

You want to avoid any stink. Deodorant and or laundry perfumes tickle my nose... Imagine what the do to a deer's nose. As mentioned above I use an unscented baking soda based deodorant or none at all. You can scrub down with baking soda or peroxide just prior to going afield, or just use a damp cloth. I try to use natural cover scents like pine, cedar or good ol' DIRT. Still a deer's nose is difficult to fool. Watch the wind.

Comment

If an odor is offensive to you, what must a deer think?
              Deer don't necessarily recognize "human" odor, but they can detect unfamiliar odors. That's what spooks them.
              Just stay clean.

Comment

If an odor is offensive to you, what must a deer think?
                Deer don't necessarily recognize "human" odor, but they can detect unfamiliar odors. That's what spooks them.
                Just stay clean.

Comment

The old timers that didn't worry about scent drove deer through the woods to shooters. The deer had no choice but to escape on the dead run as best they could. The old timers shot rifles and about 98% of their shots were a lot further than 10 yards.

If you archery hunt and need to get close, you have to worry about scent. As others have said, staying downwind is the ultimate solution but frankly you can't always dictate that. Therefore you need to reduce your scent profile as much as possible. That is why we hunt up in trees rather than on the ground. Good advice above regarding scent control.

Comment

I use unscented deodorant and soap. I wash my clothes in baking soda and keep my hunting clothes separate from the camo that I wear elsewhere.

Comment

You shouldn't worry so much about what you smell like as much as where your scent is blowing...PLAY THE WIND!

Comment

I use unscented deodorant and soap. I wash my clothes in baking soda and keep my hunting clothes separate from the camo that I wear elsewhere.

Comment

Depends on how hot it is and if you're going to be working up a sweat at all. If so I'd do what a lot the guys are saying for sure. Scent less deodorant. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

You can buy a scent killer or scent away pack with laundry soap body soap and deodorant for 20 bucks an It has always worked for me but I have also used baking soda and speed stick non scented soap and just rinsed in the shower also. Both seem to work well. Just play the wind as beat you can and get out there.

Comment

I wash with Dead Downwind and wash my clothes in their detergent starting with bear season through early archery.
                              Every bear that came to the stand knew I was there and every deer that gets down wind of me smells me (I hunt from the ground). You cannot fool an animal's nose.
                              I do however believe that you can affect the way animals react by reducing your scent and by staying dead still. The leafy camo helps too. The combo seems to get you the extra time you need to get off a shot or an arrow.
                              So to answer your question clean armpits w/o deodorant are the best bet.
                              Oh yeah, staying upwind really works!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad